Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had an infection (probably a stye) in my left eyelid about

I had an infection (probably a stye) in my left eyelid about 1 month ago. I did both hot & cold compresses on it, & after about a week it went down. However I now have a small bump/lump on the right of my left eyelid closest to my nose... where the infection had started. It no longer itches or causes me irritation, but doesn't seem to be going away. It is also slightly reddish around it. Is there anything I can do? will it eventually go away of it's own accord?

Many thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. What you are talking about is a resolving chalazion. The small bump will go away, but it might take many months. If it is not bothering you I wouldn't do anything about it at this point.

However, if the bump is "big" (as defined by you :o) you can have an ophthalmologist remove it by I&D. This is where the area is numbed and a small incision is made over the bump and the "gunk" inside is removed. What is the gunk? It is the normal secretions and possibly residuals from any infection, from the affected meibomium gland. It usually looks like cottage cheese.

In any event, this is an easy, safe, office- based procedure. As I stated above, however, there is no need to do this if you are willing to wait for the bump to go away on it's own.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.