Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Sometimes, during the day, I have a sort of shimmering, wavy,

Customer Question

Sometimes, during the day, I have a sort of shimmering, wavy, motion in the bottom part of my eye, seemingly under the iris. What could cause this, what should I ask about next time I go to the opthomologist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As the commonest cause for such symptoms is posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), you can ask for a detailed eye check up including a fundus exam( dilate pupils and have a look at the back of the eye).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Provided the shimmering wavy motion is noticed in your field of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

By the way is this wavy motion seen in your visual field or is it seen on the lower surface of the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello , I see that you have entered the chat.

Customer :

I see the wavy motion in my field of vision

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. then it is most likely to be due to PVD. I'll just explain a little bit about the condition .

Customer :

Thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals.You are experiencing a variation of the same symptom. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

It is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer :

I do have a floater in the left eye which seemed to get better. The shimmering effect sometimes goes away, I see it more when I'm outdoors. The flashes are not as frequent either, but, the wavy effect started when the other symptoms seemed to abate.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Flashes occur only during the actual vitreous detachment and not later. It is only the floaters which tend to persist after a PVD. Of course the nature of the floater varies can take any form including a shimmering wavy motion as you do.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A routine fundus exam is all you need as of now, by an ophthalmologist.

Customer :

I see, I was wondering what it was. Not all of the opthalmologist are willing to explain things so clearly or they sort of ignore it altogether. Thanks so much, next time I will know what ask him about. Too bad you don't live in Yuba City.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would love to visit the US some day though.

Customer :

Where are you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm currently at Bangalore at India. But get to know a lot about the US from by husband who is an avid traveller and visited US many a times.

Customer :

Oh, I think you would really enjoy a visit to the US. I really do appreciate your help, thanks so much. Bye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Bye.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince