Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

arcs of lite on the side of my eye..recall seeing spots, or floaters

Customer Question

you ansered my question regarding re; flashing and flickering lights. They are also arcs of lite on the side of my eye. I do not recall seeing spots, or floaters before this happened, but I was driving at nite with lots of car lites , fog and distractions. could this be a seperation of the retina if I did not get any of the floaters first, or did not notice.? How long should this flickerin, or arcs of on and off lite last? before I should be concerned. It does not seemed to have gotten worse. Less lite flashing but still flickers of arches but seems less. Can I continue to do daily activity driving, on freeways,errands ect. how long should I expect this lite swow to go on before being concerned

thank you for your help Linda
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Despite not seeing any floaters first, this still sounds like traction on the retina producing the flashing. Because this can potentially lead to a blinding problem (retinal detachment) I would recommend that you go ahead and see an eye doctor about as soon as you are able. The retina is at risk for holes/breaks/tears in it from this tractional process and may already have had this happen. Once a tear happens in the retina, fluid can get under the retina and detach it from the back wall of the eye which can take your vision permanently. I know that you don't have insurance, but there really isn't a "safe" duration of time to be able to wait to see if it goes away. It very well my resolve on its own without any problem, but there is no way to predict that everything is fine with the retina and that it will resolve without consequence; therefore, the exam by the eye doctor is important.

I'm still here to help you. Does that help answer your question? Do you have any further questions I can help you with?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions by pressing the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows the funds that the JustAnswer website has collected from you in the form of a deposit to be released and allotted to me in return for helping you with your question.

I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.