Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

last night, I put regular eye drops in my eye, for allergys

Customer Question

last night, I put regular eye drops in my eye, for allergys very dry. it was cold outside. I began to walk my dogs. and it seemed like I was getting flickering of lite on and off, around the out side left side top of the eye, sort of a flash more of a flicker of lite. i thought I was imagining. I went inside it seemed to continue to happen on and off, moved from top upper right to bottom left. I went to sleep this am is slightly happening, but seems to be better,I do not have health insurance, I am 55 years old, Did the eye drops do somthing? I put alot in by accident or what is this this is worrysome.

Linda
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

First of all, I do not believe that the eye drops you put in your eye had anything to do with these flashing lights; that was merely coincidental.

Flashing lights can be due to traction on the retina from the vitreous jelly (occupies most of the volume of the back of the eye and is connected to the retina). If you have floating dots or spots that are new and that tend to follow your eye movements, floating behind and then catching up to the same position they occupied before then your symptoms sound consistent with what are called vitreous floaters. These floating spots or smudges as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye. This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water.

Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can produce these flashes. These flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent; they can also appear as an arcing light. This process can happen more frequently in an eye that has had surgery. Trauma, such as what happened to you yesterday can also be an instigating cause of these symptoms.

One of the most important things to understand these flashes is that this tractional process can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are: 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Does that help to answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.