Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Ive had a yellow growth on my eye for 11 years now. It is

Customer Question

I've had a yellow growth on my eye for 11 years now. It is highly vascularised and this gives it a slight red colour. I've been to more doctors than I can count and none of them really explained what it is just that it needs to be monitored. In this period I can say that it become very slightly bigger than it initially was but then again, I was just 7 when it first appeared so it grew in the same time with me. One doctor told me it's a melanoma and one said that it's a lipoma but most of them said that it is not something serious and it just needs to be monitored.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Can you send across a picture of the lesion , if possible?

Customer :

I don't think I have one here but I can try and take one

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would like to know the exact site of this yellow growth.

Customer :

as you look at the eye on the right side

Customer :

of the right eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You said that it has grown slightly also. What size was it to begin with ( as small as a mustard seed?) and how big is it now?

Customer :

When I was 7 it was quite small

Customer :

a few milimetres across

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

and now it's probably 1 or 2 mm more

Customer :

but as it's shape is irregular it is difficult to tell

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Let me see if I can find a similar lesion photo for you to have a look and relate it to.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Give me a few minutes.

Customer :

sure

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://www.dcareaeyecare.com/articles/35w_Pinguecula.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

follow this link to see if it looks similar.

Customer :

yes it is very similar but slightly more vascularised

Customer :

it has a more obvious pink colour

Customer :

underneath all the blood vessels you can see it's a yellow colour

Customer :

and compared to this picture mine is slightly bigger

Dr. A.S. Desai :

i see.

Customer :

but in the same exact place

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

I've never been told what it is except on those two occasions

Dr. A.S. Desai :

7 years is too young an age to think of any lesion.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That site is more common for conjunctival lesions such as pinguecula or pterygium , but then both are not seen in such young individuals.

Customer :

I do have a picture of it now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We can think in terms of a conjunctival nevus( amelanocytic type) which can occur in children but often do not show vessels around them.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer :

where should I put it?

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

I think I managed

Dr. A.S. Desai :

yes I can see it now.

Customer :

it is not very clear but it shows really what is all about

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It does look like a juvenile conjunctival nevus( non-pigmented type) most probably.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Usually such lesions show a spurt of growth during puberty ( probably you too would have noticed it around the same time).

Customer :

I think I have yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But beyond that these lesions are usually benign and need to be biopsied only if there is rapid growth or excessive vascularisation or increased pigmentation ( so as to rule out the possibility of a melanoma).

Customer :

this is usually as vascularised as it gets

Customer :

it depends on how tired I am or what I have been exposed to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have had the lesion for quite some time now and the growth seen cannot be called as rapid so far.

Customer :

swimming pools usually make it redder

Customer :

salt water makes it cleaner

Customer :

after sleeping it's always nice and clear

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That is more to do with eye fatigue and dry eyes.

Customer :

it is also slightly more sensitive than the left eye

Customer :

but only slightly

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have been using the lubricating eye drops which are very beneficial in such cases.

Customer :

I have but only seldom

Customer :

should I use them more often?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes lubricating eye drops can be used more often for their soothening effect and for relief from dry eyes.

Customer :

I have excellent vision and I've never had any problems so I don't experience much trouble from my eyes

Customer :

that is why I don't use systane very often

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Systane will not have any adverse effect either on the vision or the eye as such . It can be used whenever you experience dry eyes symptoms after a tiring day or from long hours of sitting in fron tof the computer or reading. As for the yellow lesion on the right eye, I guess the previous eye doctors have been right that it is not a thing of concern . It does look like a juvenile conjunctival nevus( non-pigmented). It can be left alone unless changes mentioned earlier are seen.

Customer :

I've been told that removal is also an option. What does this involve?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Removal is by excision biopsy in which under local anaesthesia the lesion is excised ( will not hurt) and then sent for biopsy for confirmation of the kind of growth.

Customer :

and more importantly, is it worth the stress?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a simple surgery and will take only a few minutes.

Customer :

Is it the recommended option or is it best to leave it as it is?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, no harm in getting it done. Atleast it lets us rest in peace once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That much tissue excised will have no negative effect on the eye at all.

Customer :

any possible complications?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

complications of what - the surgery or leaving it alone?

Customer :

both I guess

Dr. A.S. Desai :

From surgery - none.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Leaving it alone depends on its nature - whether benign or not. Again only a biopsy is confirmative.

Customer :

I am a med student and I know all about surgery but just hearing it gives me the shivers

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess no one can predict its nature just by appearance. We depend on its changes in appearance , color , size to suspect anything.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Oh, so you are pursuing this nobel profession too. Nice to know that .

Customer :

It can safely assume it stayed fairly constant considering my rapid growth over the years

Customer :

I am hesitant in choosing surgery

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes that is why it is most likely to be a benign growth.

Customer :

I've never had any sort of interventions so I really don't like the idea of starting now

Customer :

especially when taking malignancy into consideration

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No I don't think it is much of a surgery at all to be worried about though I can understand your apprehensions. Does not seem to be converting into a malignancy considering its very slow change in size over 11 years.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can relax as of now .

Customer :

will all the extra sensitivity go away if removed?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not really. The dry eyes issue can be from varied causes and hence can even persist even after an excision.

Customer :

I am not sure I do have dry eyes. I have just been told by the doctor that suggested it is a melanoma that taking this will help(not sure with what exactly) and I've used every now and then

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

I used to use visine but that is not a very good drug as I've found out over the years

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you in a dilema whether to undergo the surgery or not or are you very firm about not getting it done( considering its benign nature)?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would consider an excision biopsy a safe bet.

Customer :

I am in a dilema but I do tend to want not to have any intervantion(as would anyone in my position I guess)

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We do pterygium excision very often which is similar to the one suggested to you and believe me it is very simple and will be over even befor you realise it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If your eye doctor has suggested excision , then just go ahead with it .

Customer :

actually, the head of an ophthalmology hospital looked at it and said that it's best not to do anything

Customer :

so I think you can understand my confusion!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer :

i've been through so many consultation I am really confused

Customer :

they contradict each other so much

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case just keep an eye on it and look out for any changes and bring it to the notice of the same ophthalmologist each time .

Customer :

I don't have an ophtalologist

Customer :

I've moved to the UK recently and I haven seen one in quite a while now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can start with one and review with the same.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You might as well go for regular visits at your medical school, dept of ophthalmology.

Customer :

I've acquired a fear of inexperienced doctors who scare me to death and that's mostly what I would get if I would go there. The teaching staff is never free and will always push a young student forward in a consultation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer :

I would like to get rid of this problem but I don't really want to go through surgery

Customer :

however minor

Customer :

I am awake during it as you said it is only local anaesthesia

Customer :

and that scares me even more

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Surgery is the only way to get rid of it completely. Yes you will be awake during it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No amount of medicines will help. So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is just keep an eye on it and undergo excision if changes develop.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I hope the answer was satisfactory.

Customer :

thank you for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wish you a successful career in medicine. Good luck.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.