Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My 6 yr. old grandson, constantly blinks his eyes. Sometimes

My 6 yr. old grandson, constantly blinks his eyes. Sometimes it will subside for awhile and then the frequency picks up again. I've asked him if he has difficulty seeing and he says, no. I've put Refresh, in his eyes. One time he said it helped, last week he said it only helped for a few minutes. Now it bothers him and he has asked me if I can find out why he's always blinking. Any [email protected]

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand those terms?

Dr. James :

Hello, before we begin, do you understand those terms?

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

Yes I understand the terms

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Is it one eye or both eyes?
Does he have blinking of the eyes when he is asleep?
When did this begin?

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

It is both eyes and it began about 4 months ago. However, it wasn't as frequent as it is now. He doesn't blink while he sleeps.

Dr. James :

Does he have any other medical problems?
Take any medicines?
Any recent difficulties in his school work?
When was his last eye exam?

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

No other medical problems

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

takes no medicines, does well in school, however, when he has a day off or vacation, what he likes best is not having to go to school, hasn't ever had an eye exam. to my knowlege. No medical problems,

Dr. James :

Thank you. In young children, it is difficult to know what the problem may be based solely on one symptom since they may not be able to articulate what exactly is wrong. It is important for him to get a full exam with a cycloplegic refraction.

It can be dry eyes, in which case the refresh tear drops should help. It may also be blurry vision, even though he says he has no blurry vision. He needs to be checked for possible glasses. He may also have misaligned eyes.

All these things can be determined with a good eye exam.

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

Would changes in the home environment cause this?

Dr. James :

It is possible. Stress such as changes in the home environment, problems in school... can also manifest in habitual blinking behavior.

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

So if the eye exam. checks out OK, would seeing a family counselor be next?

Dr. James :

Certainly a consideration if you think there things which may be issues bothering your grandson. You may want to have a heart-to-heart talk with him first and emphasize that what you say would be confidential and not get anyone in trouble.

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

OK and would you recommend an eye exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist?

Dr. James :

Either would be OK. When you make an appointment, just ask if that doctor is comfortable seeing children. For glasses, an optometrist is best. I'd recommend he get a "cycloplegic refraction" and a dilated retinal exam. This is routine for kids, but sometimes not always done because children may fuss about the eye drops.

JACUSTOMER-xntkhp5o- :

Thank you very much. This gives me some direction.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

An accept button should be there now.