Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I suffered a detached retina 24 days after cataract surgery

I suffered a detached retina 24 days after cataract surgery in 2007 and I am thankful to say it was repaired successfully. I have a vitreous separation in the other eye but as far as I know the retina is healthy. Some 'bald' areas of the right retina were repaired by cryotherapy when I had surgery to repair the detached retina in the left eye. I would like to know if it would be safe to travel to altitudes of 4,000 metres when I am on holiday or is this likely to cause damage to my eyes?
Thank you,
A. Tennant
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

From what I have gathered is that the left eye had a RD after cataract surgery while the right eye had a PVD but retina was healthy , in 2007.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As you have mentioned that the retinal surgery was sucessful, I guess you are safe to travel now and going to these altitudes now after so many years of sucessful surgery should not be a problem.

Customer :

Right eye had a vitreous detachment about 5 months after retinal detachment in left eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the vitreous detachment has already been evaluated and retina has been found to be normal , so no need to worry about that either.

Customer :

But I have not yet travelled to any altitude since this happened and I know that altitude can cause build up of pressure in the brain so I wondered if it would affect the eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most of the restrictions with travel/ air travel and altitudes are for immediate post-op period after a retinal detachment surgery with vitrectomy and vitreous substitutes such as gas bubble or silicone oil.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The restrictions are followed for as long as 8-12 weeks but not so long as years.

Customer :

Ok, thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is no risk of re-detachment by travelling to higher altitudes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any other query that I can answer for you?

Customer :

So there may be a risk to the eye which has a vitreous separation?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Not that I can think of especially since you have had a retinal exam after that.

Customer :

Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince