Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

it seems like an extreme case of conjunctivitis inboth eyes.

Customer Question

it seems like an extreme case of conjunctivitis inboth eyes. got drops from md. wasawake all night, eyes are almost swolenshut. should I go to the hospital? I live in NY, I'm really scared. it almost looks like an allergic reaction
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing ocular allergic which may be complicated by bacterial or viral infection, especially if you have any recent symptoms. However, if this happens to be mostly a case of ocular allergic or bacterial conjunctivitis, then you need to be applying warm compresses and not cold compresses. The cold compresses is used when you suspect viral conjunctivitis. If you have a history of allergy, and recently experienced allergic episode with symptoms including sneezing, itchy eyes, tearing or exposure to allergen then it is likely an allergic reaction. Bacterial conjunctivitis is often associated with yellowish discharge. The Gentamicin eye drop suggest that your doctor think is bacterial conjunctivitis. In which, I suggest that you use warm compresses. In general, it will slowly resolve over 7 - 10 days. Avoid contacting other persons with your hands after cleaning your eyes, and wash your hands regularly. If the eye fail to resolved or improve or get worse at any time, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor to closer re-evaluation. You may need stronger eye antibiotics such as Vigamox.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.