Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

have a foreign body sensation in my right eye after washing

Customer Question

have a foreign body sensation in my right eye after washing it in water.
please advise
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'll switch over to question and answer format as you don't seem to be available for chat . You can view the answer there and ask follow up questions too.

You pressed the accept button a bit too fast before you could actually view my answer. But I'll try my best to give you a satisfactory answer.

As you mentioned a foreign body sensation in the eye "after" washing the eye with water, the likely cause is an eye lash in the eye.
The commonest site for lodgment of an eyelash is either the lower fornix( lower lid groove) or in the sub-tarsal sulcus( beneath the upper lid)
What you need to do is to have a close look at your eye in the mirror preferrably with some magnification ( if you have one) and just look for an eyelash in the lower lid groove and if not there hten evert your upperlid and look for one lodged there. You will easily be able to remove it with a sterile cotton or even with the help of a fresh earbud. In case you are unable to do so , try flushing your eye with more water which may dislodge any stuck foreign body. If there is associated pain/watering or redness then I'm afraid it could be a corneal foreign body which can only be removed by an ophthalmologist.

Your responses came one after the other soon after you pressed the accept, while I was still typing the answers. Please do give us some time to do so before you end up thinking that the expert has not sent across any answer inspite of you having paid . Please bear with the inconvenience for this question. But I hope the answer has been satisfactory or else you are free to follow up till your satisfaction.

Best wishes and regards