Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have the Varicella-Zoster virus. It began in my scalp and

I have the Varicella-Zoster virus. It began in my scalp and has advanced over the majority of my torso, arms and legs. It is now creeping onto my face and into my eyes. I have an appointment with a physician at 3:00 p.m. today. I have also have ordered topical cream "Terrasil" by Aidance Skin Care which has patented silver oxide (approved by the EPA) along with Aloe Vera and other essential oils and natural healing ingredients. I will received this in approximately 3-5 days. Right now I am treating it topically with Apple Cider Vingegar both topicially and orally. Sometimes I follow up with white vinegar topically. Yes it burns, but it helps relieve the itching. My question is what can be done for the eyes?

Welcome to Just Answer:

The treatment that would prevent eye complication of Varicella (Herpes) Zoster eye infection is the use of oral anti-viral medication such as Valtrex 500-750 mg 3 times daily for 10 to 14 days. This treatment would also prevent the worsening and promote the resolution of the overall Varicella virus infection. In general, the chances of eye infection is low, by more common if there is infection of the tip of the nose. I suggest that you avoid contaminating the eye with the fluid from the infected area. In addition, follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation, and possible prescription for Valtrex or Famvir, especially if you are experiencing any eye discomfort. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Genteal tear drop or Refresh plus 2-4 times daily as needed.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.