Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I have a moderately uncomfortable crusty irritation on the

I have a moderately uncomfortable crusty irritation on the outside corner of my eyes. The eye itself is not affected, just the fold of the skin on the outside (away from the nose) of my eyes. When I wipe them clean the crust come back almost immediately.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 5 years ago.

Hello there

I think that your eyes most likely have a condition called blepharitis. Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes and affect the entire lid or just the outer corners. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices. The typical finding is discharge and mattering that causes stickyness in the lids, most pronounced in the morning.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps losen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. You may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to your doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

I hope this helps, Best Regards XXXXX XXXXX