Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hello i recently developed cloudy or foggy vision in both

Hello
i recently developed cloudy or foggy vision in both eyes. this is not the first time it has happened. Today, I stepped out of my daughters room into our well lit dining room and asked my wife what was burning in the kitchen becuase the house seemed to have filled up with smoke or fog. to her and my daughter it was clear in the house. i went into other rooms and noticed the more brightly li they are the more foggy the room seems to be. i am a bit worried. there isn't any pain in my eyes or no sickness previous to this, and as I said before this has happened numerous times but always goes away. i don't know if this matters or not, but i am prone to migranes
thanks for the help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

How long are these episodes of foggy vision, typically?

Do they always happen in both eyes at the same time?

Can you blink away these episodes?

Do they happen at a certain time of day or in a certain situation (are they worse in the morning, or evening, or after working at the computer, reading, or watching TV for a while)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for the quick reply,

This one has been lasting for about an hour and I cannot blink it away and it is always both eyes at the same time.
It happens pretty much at any time of day, and it doesn't seem to follow a specific activity.
I did notice today that for a brief time while driving i saw brief "flashes" of light kind of like orbs, and yesterday I was really sensitive to light. In fact wearing my sunglasses outside, i had to look at the ground and couldn't look straight ahead at anything. When I did, I would get a pain behind my eyes. It was a bright day.
Also, My left eye has been prone to blood vessel bursts for quite sometime.

Have you had these flashes of lights with each of these episodes? Do you get headaches with these episodes or nausea?

Do the fog and light phenomena have a gradual onset and gradual resolution?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I do not have those flashes w/ each episode, no headaches or nausea. No gradual onset or reolution.

Your symptoms don't seem to fit any certain disease entity exactly, but there are a few things this could be:

I think the most likely cause for these symptoms is a migraine phenomenon. It is not uncommon for persons with migraines to have a change in their migraine character such that they even have a change in their visual phenomena without a headache. The bilateral fogginess may be secondary to that, although there are some components of this that also don't seem quite migrainous.

This could also be due to dry eyes. Dry eyes can cause a blurring or fogging of the vision, but there is usually a change or improvement in the symptoms associated with blinking. There is also, however, usually an association with worsening at a certain time of the day or worsening with activities where the eyes are open for longer such as reading, TV watching, or computer use.

Much less likely, these symptoms can be caused by a neurological cause which can affect both eyes at the same time, such as poor blood flow to the brain, but this would also be associated with other neurological symptoms such as difficulty walking or talking.

I would suggest seeing an ophthalmologist who can examine the eyes to sort all of this out. Often times the culprit for these things is quite evident just on hearing the history, but your symptoms don't seem to fit any disease process very well and therefore the exam becomes quite important for diagnosis.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology