Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651
Eye

Should I use a warm or cold compress on my eyelid Its itchy and swollen. It st

Should I use a warm... Show More
Should I use a warm or cold compress on my eyelid? It's itchy and swollen. It started two days ago---thought I might have a bug bite but see no sign of that. Swelling is worse in the morning. The itch moved from the outside corner to the inside corner on the upper lid only--right now the whole lid is itchy. Not much redness.
Category: Eye
replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

I would use warm compresses. Also I would scrub your eyelids with baby shampoo by putting shampoo on your fingers in the shower, closing your eyes and scrubbing back and forth across your eyelashes. This would help with any allergies or underlying blepharitis you might have that is contributing to your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Give this treatment a few days to help. If necessary, you could put a small amount of hydrocortizone 1% cream on your eyelids for a few days without any worry of causing problems.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are in the chat room. Does this answer your question?

Customer:

The itch is not near the eyelash area but in the crease of the eyelid. Is it still possibly blepharitis?

Dr. Rick :

that may be part of the problem....and even though the itching is at the crease, you scrub by the eyelash because that is where the gland openings are on your eyelids and where allergens tend to build up.

Dr. Rick :

does that make sense?

Dr. Rick :

blepharitis by itself usually does not itch, that is why I think you have more then one issue going on causing your symptoms.

Customer:

Ok, I'll do as you suggested and hope it works! Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.