Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

a black circular thread flitting across the surface of my

a black circular thread flitting across the surface of my eye

Welcome to Just Answer

If you are viewing a black thread like floater in your field of vision since last night ( with no other eye problem in the form of reduced vision/foggy vision),then it is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals . Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

It is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions ( if any).

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will the black threads disappear, or will I be left with them indefinitely?
It is difficult to predict how the vitreous strands will behave. Most often it stays the same and is often learnt to be ignored( considering its harmless nature). Sometimes though the vitreous clumps or strands might even drift out of the visual line thus giving relief from the symptoms. So it would be better to ignore the symptoms, once the diagnosis has been confirmed by an ophthalmologist after the routine eye exam.

Thank you and best wishes

Do not press the accept button again as you have already done so.