Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I got a hot piece of metal in my eye yesterday. the metal

Customer Question

I got a hot piece of metal in my eye yesterday. the metal is out, ut my eye is still sore. I'm having cloudy vision at times, but think it is from matter forming, because when I blink, it clears. is there anything I can do to help it heal faster?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Customer:

Just wanted to see if Ishould be overly concerned, or just give it some time to heal.

Dr. Rick :

What were you doing to get the metal piece in your eye?

Customer:

Chipping slag from a piece of metal cut with a plasma cutter.

Dr. Rick :

how did you get the metal out?

Customer:

by wiping witha paper towel, m and wahsing with water.

Customer:

I guess I should have said flushing with water.

Dr. Rick :

As long as you got the piece of metal out your eye should heal fine. Since the piece of slag was hot you should not get an infection although until the skin heals on your eye you are at a slight risk. Stop using the visine as that has a chemical for getting the red out and can be toxic to the healing skin on your cornea. I would recommend using natural tears or, better yet, refresh PM ointment. Keeping your eye closed or taping the lid closed will help it to heal faster.

Dr. Rick :

As long as you did not scratch the cornea with the paper towel too much you eye should be fine within 24 hours......this assumes, of course, that you got ALL the metal out. Any metal left in the eye will cause rust which may slow the healing process.

Dr. Rick :

Your vision will be cloudy until the skin heals. How long was the piece of slag in your eye before you got it out?

Customer:

How long should I wait for it to heal before getting worried about the chance that there is still some metal in it? It reallly doesn't feel that uncomfortable, but it's only been a little over 24 hours. I started rubbing it out with a paper towel almost oinstantly, because it hurt really bad.

Customer:

I aslo flushed it in the eyewash station within ablut 5 minutes.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to be sure that you got all the metal out is to see an ophthalmologist. Metal foreign bodies are very easy to see and remove using a slit lamp. Also she could give you a sample of antibiotic ointment and correctly patch your eye closed.

Dr. Rick :

If it still hurts it might be safer to see an eye doc today.

Customer:

Well, I work nights, and need a little sleep. I'll see how it feels when I get up.

Dr. Rick :

Also it is hard to remove the entire piece of metal using a paper towel. Since it is hot it gets "stuck" in the meat of your cornea and tends to break off instead of coming out in one nice piece.

Dr. Rick :

ok. It might wake you up when you start to dream and you go into REM sleep.......

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
12
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just a short note to let you know that I got some of the ointment that you recommended, and within a few days things healed fine. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Glad to hear things worked out. Thanks for letting me know. Have a great day.