Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have swelling around one eye. The socket around it kind

I have swelling around one eye. The socket around it kind of hurts. It's starting to look like I've been punched, but I've suffered no trauma to it. The eyeball itself looks fine. I'm currently already on antibiotics for something else, just fyi.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

who started you on the antibiotics and what are they?

Dr. Rick :

is this swelling associated with a particular eyelid?

Dr. Rick :

Actually, it really doesn't matter who prescribed them....I was just wondering if an ophthalmologist did.....but it was not for the eyes -- question asked and answered

Customer:

amoxicillin, had a throat infection.

Customer:

my eylid is not swollen, it's under the eye...looks like a classic shiner almost

Customer:

also, yes...it's just one eye

Dr. Rick :

and it is tender to the touch? More on the cheek then the eyelid? Any chance you could take a picture and upload it to this page?

Customer:

started to feel the area around my eye hurt about 3 days ago, yes it's tender...it's above my cheekbone but below my eye. i'll try and figure out sending a pic

Dr. Rick :

If you can take a digital picture or two, load them onto your desktop you can upload them like this:

Dr. Rick :

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

we can figure it out without a picture, but a photo will really help.

Customer:

sorry, dr. rick can't send a pic camera not working. the area affected is all the soft tissue underneath the eye..kind of the eyesocket soft tissue if that makes sense.

Dr. Rick :

got it.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to be sure. The most common cause of swelling in that general area is blepharitis with chalazian and or stye formation. It is very unlikely that is is any sort of tumor etc. Is this tender spot located near the corner of your eye close to your nose?

Customer:

no, it's more underneath the eye. I've had styes before and it's not in that area. hmmm, kind of hard to explain, sorry. not sure what blephartis or chalazian is.

Dr. Rick :

let me see if I can find you a link to some pictures of a stye or chalazian....brb

Customer:

ok...thought it could be sinus related, not sure. that side of my sinuses does give me problems sometimes, but since i'm on antibiotics already didn't think it'd be a sinus infection related thing

Dr. Rick :

If you type "chalazion pictures" into google pictures a bunch of pics come up....

Customer:

ok, will do

Dr. Rick :

sinus infections usually don't cause swelling of the orbit....unless the are really bad and you would know if you had that :)

Dr. Rick :

you can do the same thing and type in stye pictures...

Dr. Rick :

There are various vascular abnormalities, tumors etc that can give you a "shiner" looking injury without actually being hit......the possibilities are very large as to the cause of the swelling without actually having a look at it. It would probably be best to have an ophthalmologist have a look at you in the near future.

Customer:

maybe it is a chalazion. i have a tiny raised dot on my lower eyelid, almost microscopic....don't know if its always been there or not...it's in the swelling area for sure.

Dr. Rick :

that would be the most common cause. Let me give you a little "handout" I've written on this topic

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Customer:

o,k...if it doesn't go away, how long should i wait before seeing a dr? would a reg. dr. do or would i need an opthomologist. thanks for the help

Dr. Rick :

I'd give it a week or so. It should start to feel better in 2 to 3 days. I'd go to the ophthalmologist, of course I biased :o)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future.

Customer:

thanks dr. rick, appreciate the help!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure