Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

what is standard treatment for staph eye infections

Customer Question

what is standard treatment for staph eye infections?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

what is the nature of the eye infection? What structure in the eye has been infected by staph.aureus ? what anti-bacterial eye drops has been tried already?

Customer:

Hello

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello are you there? I don't see you in the chat as of now. We can continue in the Q&A pattern.

Customer:

Dr. Desai, I have Graves disease and have had numerous surgeries related to eyelid repair. This last year I have had many corneal ulcers, and have now had any eye infection treated with numerous drops the most recent treatment included a culture with revealed a staph infection (staph aureleus) in my eye. I'm getting the medications to input to you now, it has not cleared and continues to ooze

Customer:

the medications are drops; trimethoprim-sulfate/polymy sol and also an ointment erthromycin.

Customer:

Dr. Desai, are you there?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Hello again,

What is the nature of the eye infection? What structure in the eye has been infected by staph.aureus ? What anti-bacterial eye drops has been tried already?
It would have helped to know the nature of eye infection as the route of administration of the medicine would depend on the eye structure involved. Generally speaking staph.aureus bacteria can result in conjunctivitis / keratitis ( corneal infection), uveitis ( involving the iris)/ endophthalmitis ( infecting the entire uveal tissue along with the vitreous) / infection of the soft tissues of the orbit as in orbital cellulitis/ infection of the glands in the lids as in hordeolum. Assuming that you are referring to the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis I would say new generation quinolone eye drops like preservative free Moxifloxacin ( Vigamox) are very effective and can be given in the dose of 1 drop hourly on the first day( called bunching method wherein a high concentration of the medicine is achieved), followed by 1 drop 4 times a day for the next 6 days. Avoid warm compresses as it might actually help culture the bacteria giving it an nice warm environment.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
I think our chat system has gone for a toss today !! I just saw your replies as I sent my answer to you( must have come when I was busy typing my answer).

I have read the additional information you have sent and thank you for the same.

It is sad that you have to go through the corneal problems apart from Grave's disease. In Grave's disease the cornea is prone for exposure keratitis which can get infected as in your case. Nevertheless start of Vigamox eye drops should help( being more broad spectrum eye drop). At the same time lubricating eye drops should be continued like preservative free Refresh tears for relief from any exposure keratitis.

I see that you have accepted the answer as I type this reply and I thank you for it.

It was a pleasure to have assisted you with this question.

Do not press the accept button again.