Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been diagnosed with myopic macular degeneration and

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with myopic macular degeneration and severe sensitivity to light, I suffer from excruciating headaches, is this common with the diagnosis and what can I do to help with it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Customer:

thank you...i need lots of help

Dr. Rick :

What type of physician prescribed the darvocet? What other treatments have you tried?

Customer:

my primary care physician prescribed the darvocet

Customer:

I have tried advil, tylenol, ice on my eyes, eye mask

Dr. Rick :

How much vision have you lost secondary to your myopic macular degeneration?

Customer:

I have lost the central vision in my right eye, my vision with correction is 20/250

Customer:

I have many floaters in my right eye and a few in my left eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sorry to hear you have lost so much vision in that eye. Thanks for the extra information. Floaters are very,very common with high myopia and nothing to worry about

Dr. Rick :

In my experience there is no association between photophobia, myopic degeneration and high myopia. I think your discomfort is related to something other then your eyes

Customer:

can eye strain be the cause of the headaches?

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest having a complete examination by a neurologist.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, eye strain can cause headaches but headaches as bad as you describe? Very, very rare. I look at other causes first before turning to that as my first choice for a diagnosis.

Customer:

what about occipital lobe migraines?

Customer:

my eye doctor felt I may be experiencing those now

Dr. Rick :

I must admit that I don't know much about those.....I do ophthalmology and retinal diseases and ship the migraines off to my colleagues

Customer:

as you can tell by contacting you I am at witts in, I have an 11 year old child and a husband and all I have been able to do the past two days is lay in the dark. I am now able to function in a little light, even the light from the computer screen bothers my eyes

Dr. Rick :

is your eye doctor an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Customer:

what causes extreme photophobia

Customer:

I am followed by both and a retinal specialist, neither of which help, only say there is nothing that can be done

Dr. Rick :

lots of things.....uveitis, trauma, migraines,severe glaucoma....long list

Dr. Rick :

for myopic macular degeneration with loss of the RPE and disciform scar formation, I'm afraid they are correct....

Customer:

thanks...I just wish the headaches would stop

Dr. Rick :

I still think you would be well served to see a good neurologist for the headaches. Darvocet N100's can only do so much.

Customer:

I would rather be totally blind in the dark, then have what vision I have and suffer from these headaches which I truly believe are caused from straining to see and light

Dr. Rick :

I hope they do. Thanks for letting me help you today. And now, a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

You might even consider being seen in a University setting

Dr. Rick :

that way you could see cutting edge headache experts, neurologist, ophthalmologist etc and they could all work together. Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn does a very good job of this type of approach to complex cases.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day. I wish you the best of luck.

Customer:

I was seen at Vanderbilt, they felt like I might be suffering from AZOOR also, I have had shingles in my head on two different ocassions.

Customer:

The didn't offer any help just kept doing test after test.

Dr. Rick :

that's complicates the issue.....you are kinda between a rock and a hard place.

Customer:

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Our chat system may have frozen up.