Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

Hi my eye test as shown that last nov I was -1 in my right

Customer Question

Hi my eye test as shown that last nov I was -1 in my right eye I am now -475 what is the problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I am here to help you with your question. Do you have any medical problems such as diabetes?

Doctor DanB :

I'm not seeing your responses (if you have responded yet), so I am going to switch over to Q&A mode to complete this encounter. I will still be here to help you with your concerns.

Do you have diabetes and if so what is your average daily blood glucose when checked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I do not have diabetes

Have you been diagnosed with a cataract? Do you have problems with needing more light to be able to read, difficulty seeing in glare conditions such as bright headlights on the road at night or sunlight during the day?

Did you recently have a dilated eye exam by an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I have never and still do not have any other problems, I did not know until I had my eyes tested on Friday, that there was a problem?

It is fairly unusual to have such a rapid progression of nearsightedness (myopia) in middle adulthood as you have. When I have patients who develop this it is usually related to either the rapid growth of a cataract or because of diabetes that may or may not have been previously diagnosed. One of the most common set of symptoms in persons who may have diabetes who don't carry that diagnosis is excessive urination and thirst.

Other than this there aren't a whole lot of other things that can cause this progression at your age; it just may be that your eyeball and/or cornea had a significant change in the shape of it to cause this progression.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.