Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am concerned after reading an article about atypical moles.

Customer Question

I am concerned after reading an article about atypical moles. I am 42 and have had 6 atypical moles removed in my life. In the article it said that people with numerous aytpical moles were at an increased risk for eye cancer. I am not sure what is considered numerous, so I do not know how concerned I should be. There is no history of melanoma or skin cancer in my family, and I have never had any skin cancers. Just the 6 atypcial moles. If I am at an increased risk, is there anything I can do to help protect my eyes?

thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I would not be overly concerned about eye cancer from the fact that you have multiple atypical non-cancerous moles on your body. Eye cancer is very, very rare.

Customer:

Are there any extra measures I can take to help protect my eyes?

Dr. Rick :

The only thing you need to do would be to have a yearly, complete, dilated eye exam with your local ophthalmologist. Any eye cancers that might pop up would be easily found with this exam, especially if you mention your concerns to the doctor.

Dr. Rick :

No need for sunglasses, special foods or pills etc.

Dr. Rick :

Is there an increased risk? Perhaps, but not enough, in my opinion, to worry about other then having your eyes checked.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are having problems staying in the chat room for some reason. There might be a glitch with the system.....

Customer:

Yes, I have annual exams. One more quick question. I also recently read that women who have been on the pill for a prolonged period of time can develop blood clots in their eyes which are very dangerous. I started the pill at 17, and am 42 and went off it only for a couple of years. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

That is true. Blood clots are a big problem with birth control pill use, esp. if you smoke. Take home message? Stop smoking. If the pill use worries you you can have you partner get a vasectomy or you could have your tubes tied..only, of course, if you no longer desire new children.

Dr. Rick :

There are other reasons for birth control pill use....regulate menses, cramps, heavy bleeding, but the risks are the same no matter the reason you take them.

Customer:

Are eye clots treatable?

Dr. Rick :

Blood clots in the eye can have devastating and irreversible effects on your vision, depending where the clot forms. It is much, much better to prevent them then treat them.

Dr. Rick :

still there?