Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I periodically have itching in the corner of my eye. Sometimes

I periodically have itching in the corner of my eye. Sometimes when I scratch it, my eyelid, and area under the eye swells. It will last about 2 days and then the swelling is gone. Even if I try not to scratch it, it will still swell. What could this be and how can I prevent this from occurring?

Hello and thanks for your question.

It sounds as though you have been trying some anti-allergy remedies. I agree with that course of action as this does sound allergic. I presume the eye drops you have been on have been anti-allergy as well? If not, I would start there. An over-the-counter anti-allergy eye drop that works well is Zaditor, as does Alaway. If these are not working, however, and the eye itself is still significantly itchy, then a prescription drop such as Pataday works very well.

I would continue to use the oral antihistamines. Both Zyrtec and Claritin, which are both over-the-counter, work very well. In addition, cool compresses used 2-3x/day for 5-10minutes each time will also help decrease the level of inflammation in this region of the eye and face and limit the swelling. Lastly, using 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the skin will also help the itching, swelling and redness. However, it may take doing this twice a day for a couple of weeks before this begins to resolve.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.