Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

In left eye have aching, occasionally stabbing pain, episodic,

In left eye have aching, occasionally stabbing pain, episodic, of 5 second durations. New symptom. Been going on for about an hour. History of diabetes, heart disease, in-sync pacemaker since 2001. Glucose 266 which higher than usual. Generally in good control. Age 72. Recent stress test showed no blockages. Doesn't use contacts in left eye (does in right eye) or glasses. Vision 20/30.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any history of glaucoma in the family? Do you experience recurrent sinusitis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any known history fo migraines?

Customer:

no to glaucoma and migraines

Customer:

Problem with allergies for which take medication. Took ibuprofen cold and sinus (pseudoephedrine) which have taken for long time. Last dose about 8AM. No known hx of sinusitis

Customer:

Prior to this had pressure pain in chest which get every so often which followed by cardiologist advised to double Coreg, but felt so lousy went back to previous dose (all took place about two weeks ago.) Take many meds.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Analysing your symptoms I can say that since your eye symptoms of eye ache and pain are intermittent and not constant along with presence of good vision , it would kind of rule out most of the painful eye conditions like uveitis or keratitis. Painful diseases of the eye are restricted to the anterior segment and most would have some amount of visual complaints too. In certain type of glaucoma the acute episode may begin with intermittent pain but is severe enough to be associated with nausea or even vomiting. In the absence of these symptoms even that appears to be a remote possibility.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This leaves us with the possibility of either ocular migraine or sinusitis( since you do have known allergies).

Customer:

The pains are less frequent than when first contacted youl Did take extra insulin to counteract high glucose. Do you think it could be related to diabetes and/or hyper glycemia?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ocular migraine can occur at any time with varied presentations including the one like you are experiencing. As of now you can safely take one tablet of Acetaminophen 650 mg( it will not interact with any of the medications you are on) stat and repeat after 12 hours if pain persists. No, I would not relate it to hyperglycemia( rather hypoglycemia is known to be associated with headache or dizziness).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I suggest that you take the analgesic to reduce tha pain and consider visiting an ophthalmologist if the episodes become recurrent in future so that a baseline intraocular pressure can be recorded and glaucoma can be screened for.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from this I don't think you need to worry about any other problem in the eye.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. I feel confident that I don't need immediate treatment. Iwill call by eye doctor in the morning if the symptoms persist. You have been very helpful. the best $$22 I have spent. Sterling Nelson

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist