Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter had a swelling on her eyelid like a stye three

My daughter had a swelling on her eyelid like a stye three days ago. The whole eyelid, top and bottom swelled up the next day. She tried warm compresses and plenty of sleep but was still in a lot of pain. She began to have greenish coloured discharge and notice an area of pus, around 3mm in diameter high up on the inner corner of her inner eyelid. She still has pain but the swelling is less marked. Does this sound like a stye or do you think she needs antibiotic drops.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight. Does your daughter wear contact lenses? Does her eye hurt?

Customer:

No she does not wear contact lens. Yes she still has pain on the inner side of her eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

Is this limited to one eyelid? For example the upper lid or the lower?

Customer:

yes it is the upper lid. The pain seems to be very localised in the area she saw the pus - the upper area of the lid close to the nose. The skin on the outside of the lid looks quite red, almost bruised.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a chalazion. They can be pretty painful and cause a lot of swelling. Antibiotics are not the treatment of choice for this condition.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

You should also have her use warm compresses during the day, the more often the better. It should start hurting less in a day or so.

Dr. Rick :

still there?

Dr. Rick :

the chat system may be stuck.....I'll switch to Q&A

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To be honest I was checking what a chalazion looks like and it is not like what my daughter has (the swelling is not as marked). However it lead me to looking at images of what a stye can look like. I found several pictures that look exactly like the spot on the inner side of her lid, this has put my mind at rest. So in a way you advice has been helpful and I appreciate the difficulty when you cannot examine a patient in person. Thank you for your time, I will accept you answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I am glad you have got the information you need. A stye and chalazion are almost the same process but to a different subset of the glands of the eyelid. The treatment is also the same.

Thank you for allowing me to help you in some small way tonight. Have a good evening