Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have had cataracts removed in july and august of this year.

i have had cataracts removed in july and august of this year. i also have laser
surgeury about 5 years ago in left eye. 12-15 years ago i had laser surguery in both eyes my eye pressure is about 12-14 -16 ( fyi )
about a year ago i started to have blured vision. my eye dr. said it was fluid buildup and there was nothing that could be done about it.

the nurse asked me if it when i blink did it look like a windshild wiper? as on a car.
when i blink it lookes like that.

what my question is this. ----this blured vision just started at once. one day my vision is clear---the next day it was blured.
what causes this?
and is there something that can be done about this
thank you verry much

bryant french XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight. Email addresses are blocked by the system.....all I see is a bunch of x's

Dr. Rick :

Is your vision in the affected always blurry, kinda in the same spot?

Customer:

it covers the whole eye

Dr. Rick :

Did the doctor say where the fluid was building up? Cornea? Retina? Has she started you on any drops or pills or done a special dye test, called a fluorescein angiogram?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the most common place to have swelling after cataract surgery that would affect your vision in with your retina. The most common type is called clinically significant macular edema (CSME). This is treated in a stepwise manor, depending upon the amount of vision loss, the duration of the loss and the amount/type of swelling/leakage seen on the dye test (FA) mentioned above.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still going to your surgeons office or has your care been passed off to an optometrist?

Customer:

this started about 1 year ago before catarac sugery.

Dr. Rick :

also a test called an OCT can evaluate the swelling of the retina....FA is the gold standard, however.

Dr. Rick :

What did the surgeon say it was and how it would affect your final visual outcome after the cataract removal?

Customer:

i hane an appointment in about 6 mo.

Customer:

should i schedule an appointment soon?

Dr. Rick :

That is good. Do you have any other information about what your doctor told you that you have? Do you look at an amsler grid daily or take any special eye vitimans at your ophthalmologists suggestion?

Customer:

he just fluid bildup i'am not taking any eye drops.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to be exactly sure where the swelling is that you are referring to, however, give what you have told me about the duration, both before and after cataract surgery, that you are scheduled for a 6 month followup, I get the feeling you are suffering from age related macular degeneration.

Customer:

ok thank you very much

Dr. Rick :

If that is the case you should check your central vision daily with an Amsler grid (you can find them online or your MD should have them for you) and take special eye vitamens. One brand name is ocuvite.

Dr. Rick :

It has been a pleasure to help you

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

bryant french

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest