Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

after the accident how long shoud i wait to have the Vitreoretina

after the accident how long shoud i wait to have the Vitreoretina Surgery?
I was told, soon is better to get perhaps 50% of my left eye sight back.
Thank you XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Tell me about the accident and the trauma to your eye leading to glaucoma requiring a tube shunt placement.

Customer:

i got pocket in the eye with 1 1/4 diameter tree branch. i was unconcios for afew seconds, my eye filld up wit blood and i lost all sight. 3 weeks ago

Dr. Rick :

ok. Has anyone had a chance to do a B scan to see if your retina is still attached behind the vitreous blood?

Dr. Rick :

I would also expect that there has been significant damage to your cornea, iris, and lens

Customer:

Yes all kind of scan the eye pressure is down from 34 to normal

Dr. Rick :

that is good about the pressure. Retina is a field that I have a special interest in. Have you met with your vitreoretinal surgeon yet?

Customer:

yes , but no surgery appointment yet

Dr. Rick :

Getting the globe closed, preventing infection, controlling inflammation and managing pressure are primary goals. The retina can be observed with B scans, and if it is not detaching, taking time for the eye to calm down some and the cornea to clear enough to allow a good surgical view of the retina is a good idea. It sounds like this is what is being done in your case. I like to wait, if possible, a week or so for the vitreous and blood to pull away from the retina a bit and the cornea to clear before doing the vitrectomy. Of, course, in some emergent cases it is not possible to wait.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your doctors are doing everything right to make sure that the amount of damage done to your eye after the initial injury is minimized. You have a long way to go before it will be possible to give you a good estimate of what your final visual outcome may be.

Customer:

Yes, but are my chances to see again better with a Surgery in 3 weeks,than 3 month.

Dr. Rick :

Without being involved in your case personally, there is no way for me to give you a good truthful answer to that question. Some case surgery is done right away, some after a few days, weeks and -- occasionally -- a month or more. Sometimes the blood will clear on it's own without the need for surgery. Of course, in the last case, you would want to be watched carefully by a retina expert.

Customer:

All my blood has been removed and i want the Surgery ASAP

Dr. Rick :

From all you tell me you have been through I believe you are in good hands with your ophthalmologist and retina specialist. The most damage to your vision was done in the instant that stick got 'ya.....now time, and the expert care you are getting, will tell what you vision you will be left with.

Dr. Rick :

Why do you want the surgery ASAP? And which surgery are you referring to?

Customer:

Thanks Doc, the Jul Stein Docs are very busy

Dr. Rick :

Jules Stein docs are very, very good :o)

Dr. Rick :

Now, a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I hope things work out the best they possibly can for you.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest