Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

dry itchy eye lids

dry itchy eye lids
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you have blephritis with the involvement of the palpebral portion of the eyelid conjunctiva. This can be a complication or result from pre-existing ocular allergic conjunctivitis. In this case, there is likely a complicating bacterial infection of the eyelid that make it difficult to treat with just allergy drops. In addition, the use of hydrocortisone cream only without the addition of antibiotics would make the elimination of any involved bacterial difficult. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation of the eyelid under the slit-lamp, and possible prescription of medication such as doxycycline oral pills 50 to 100 mg by mouth twice daily for 10 to 14 days to help eradicate any infection of the eyelid which is making this problem difficult to resolve. Doxycycline also has anti-inflammatory effect and has been proven to be quite effective in the treatment of eyelid irritation with an inflammatory or infectious component. In addition topical eye drops like Zylet or Tobradex drop or ointment 2-4 times daily can be added for 1 week. In the meantime, I suggest that you perform eyelid hygiene with 50% diluted baby shampoo soaked on cotton swab twice daily, followed by warm water rinse. Also continue to use preservative tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily. For allergic eye irritation you can use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 2 times daily as needed. In general, hydrocortisone topical cream is not appropriate for the eyelids, so I suggest that you discontinue its use.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.