Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have worn readers for years. No close text is readable without

Customer Question

I have worn readers for years. No close text is readable without readers, 2.0. At age 54 clarity at distance is now a problem, I can function, but cannot read at distance and objects are not perfect. So, I was offered what my doctors office is calling Transitions, not for tint, but for multiple corrections. My new glasses have been remade once for same complaints I am listing now, with little if any improvement on the reading portion. Now doctors staff is totally frustrated with me. The distance is great, but the area for reading is very small and mostly out of focus. They do not work at all for computer, cannot work at a desk with them and reading the paper is impossible. The sweet spot for reading letters is full of shadows and distortions. When I can get some text in focus, the range is so small all the letters, above and on the sides are not in focus. Because I have to work so hard to find the sweet spot, reading the newspaper or a sheet of paper is impossible. Because I keep having to moving my head and neck angle and eyes over and over again to refocus. My husband wears these types of glasses as do coworkers and no one went thru this. They all use the computer in them and do paperwork with them which is out of the question for me. I am patient and working hard to make them work, but it seems impossible. Supposedly they widened the correction areas due to the distortion problem, but it has not helped. Actually it seems as if this was not done. I am so frustrated. I am cooperative, patient and polite and now have need left with a pair of 350$ glasses that just do not work. Is this how it is supposed to be? Can you explain if this is how it should work. Should I just be happy to have a pair of glasses I can watch TV with and read a small label or small amount of text before I have to revert to readers? Is this normal? I don't think I should settle, but I am stressed asking for help again and again. They said it can take weeks to get used to them, but I have to be able to read and I need to use the computer for work.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I can certainly understand your frustration at spending a lot of good money and not being able to function in your new glasses. First of all, getting use to progressive addition lenses can be difficult and can take up to a month. That being said, it sounds as though your problem goes beyond this.

Not being able to see what your glasses look like and to be able to measure your refractive prescription myself, it might be difficult to ultimately resolve this issue over the computer. However, there are a couple of things that may need to be addressed. First of all, the progressive lenses need a certain height of lens for them to be able to work properly and it sounds as though you might need a taller lens. Today's fashion is to have a shorter and wider lens and this lens setup makes for less room for the progressive addition part of the lens, causing less room for the needed space to be able to navigate within a certain segment.

Second, not all progressive lenses are the same. There are different kinds of progressive lenses made by different manufacturers. It may be that you need to have a different type of progressive lens. This would be a useful alternative to discuss with your optical shop in addition to maybe needing a different frame. I know that it may be difficult if not impossible for you to "trade-in" your frames for different ones. Unfortunately, I also cannot give you specific information regarding the different types of progressive lenses and how they differ, just because that is very technical information that as an M.D. I just don't deal with on a daily basis, so I can't speak to that very well. Again, here is where I would direct you to your optical shop. If you feel you aren't getting very good service or advice from them, you may seek out an optician that somebody else trusts to at least ask advice about these two issues from.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: not the right professional for the question.
not the right professional for the question
I will opt out of this question so someone else can try to satisfy your request. However, there is no optician category of experts on this site.