Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 3 year old son got poked in the eye with an elephant tusk

My 3 year old son got poked in the eye with an elephant tusk from a toy in the inner part of his left eye. The corner of the eye is red and his eye tears show some blood. He states that he is ok and he is not crying. Is there something that I should do? Does he need to go to the Dr's? Please help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi, I can help you today

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Is there something that I should do

Dr. Rick :

can you get him to look toward the side so you can see the area where the elephant poked him? If so, can you see a cut?

Dr. Rick :

also, how pointed is the toy tusk?

Customer:

I do not see a cut but it is red

Dr. Rick :

ok. That's good.

Customer:

the tusk is not sharp but semi pointy

Dr. Rick :

plastic? hard or kinda bendable?

Customer:

bendable

Customer:

But his tears have some blood in them

Dr. Rick :

with the blood in the tears there must be at least a small cut in the conjunctiva. 99% of the time these cause no problems, don't need stitches etc. He, from what you have said, missed his cornea, which is good.

Dr. Rick :

Oops...ignore the green button. At least for a little while yet :o)

Customer:

My concern is infection

Dr. Rick :

a plastic elephant should not be a large source of infection and his tears contain antibodies anyway.

Customer:

is there a time limit that I should look for with the blood in the tears

Dr. Rick :

The biggest concern is damage to the inside structures of his eye. Of course, not being able to see you son I'm going on what you are telling me. From that, he should be OK

Customer:

Should I expect for it to go away

Dr. Rick :

However, of course, the best way to know is to have him seen by an ophthalmologist. Going to the ER without having an ophthalmologist coming in for a consult would not be of much use.

Customer:

well there is no sensitivity to light, no sqinting, he is watching TV right now and does not seem to be in any pain

Dr. Rick :

It should heal up fine in a day or too. He should also not have any pain beyond what he is going through right now.

Dr. Rick :

sounds like he is gonna live through this one :)

Customer:

ok so the ER is out but I can wait until tomorrow to make an appointment with his DR and possibly the Eye Dr?

Customer:

Are there any over the counter eye drops that I should give him?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Even the pedes MD, however, will not have the equipment to really do a indepth examination...but if he was my son....oops, guess it would be grandson nowadays.....and he was acting like your son is now, I wouldn't rush to the doctor. But, because there are too many lawyers in the world, I have to leave that decision up to you.

Dr. Rick :

just natural tears....and good luck getting those into a 3 year olds eyes without battle. Not needed, I don't think

Customer:

ok Thank you SOOOOO Much

Customer:

I really appreciate you help

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Now, a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Give him a hug for me. :o)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest