Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

hi, i have developed an eye infection its not too painfull

Customer Question

hi, i have developed an eye infection its not too painfull, just very iratating what can i do without using bigpharma
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes I am

Dr. Rick :

Is there someone with you who is 18 year old? To use this system, because of the simple fact that there are too many lawyers in the world, you have to be 18.....

Customer:

i hold none responsible but myself

Customer:

just a little advice is all i need

Dr. Rick :

Ya, but the folks who run this system set the rules and, while I'm working for them, I have to respect that. I'm sure you can understand that....

Dr. Rick :

I have friends in Londonderry....are you close to there?

Customer:

nope

Dr. Rick :

k

Customer:

look my Mother is here now

Dr. Rick :

ok.... put her on.....

Dr. Rick :

Hi Mom.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. Rick :

What's going on with your son's eye and how can I help?

Customer:

Yes my son has an eye infection, it looks like a stie.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Those are very common and can be treated at home.

Customer:

He has been waking up with it sealed shut with gunge

Customer:

What can we do about it?

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazian or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

The gunk in the morning is from the associated blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

Give this a week or so to work. The bump may take a long time (month or so) to go away but the tenderness should go away in a few days.

Customer:

But its more then gunk cuming from the lump.

Dr. Rick :

also, hot compresses to the eye as many times a day that you have a chance to do it will help.

Customer:

The puss is yellow and the eye is very bloodshot

Dr. Rick :

normally the gunk doesn't come out of the bump....but the eyelids can be stuck together in the morning from the inflammation and stuff.

Dr. Rick :

If it is really full of pus then perhaps there is a bacterial infection involved and it is more then just blepharitis. This would require a visit to an ophthalmologist to figure out what is causing the infection and the use of prescription eye drops.

Dr. Rick :

I know this is a question no seventeen year old male likes to have his mother know, let alone answer online, but is he sexually active?

Customer:

Very much so

Dr. Rick :

still there, or are you beating the answer out of him? :o)

Customer:

he has a girlfriend the past 2years

Dr. Rick :

then, this could be a sexually transmitted disease such as gonerrhea (and no, I can't spell that one lol ) This would cause a lot of yellow pus in the eye and require medicine by mouth

Dr. Rick :

with just one steady girlfriend that would, of course, be less likely.

Customer:

No He hsnt had any contact in the last week and it came up about 3 days ago

Dr. Rick :

ok. Well, then try the above therapy and if things don't start feeling and looking better in the next day or so go see an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

does that make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

If so, then here is a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

and it is now safe for you to press the pretty, green, button..... ;)

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if I can do anything else to help

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
We have had problems with the accept button not working on the chat system. I'll try getting it to work for you with the Q&A system. Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What if its conjunctivitis?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
That is a good question. If it is caused by a bacteria, which is consistent with the pus, your son will need prescription antibiotic drops.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Surely there is something else that will work... prescribed medicines only have to have a 95% success rate for them to be approved... we dont feel very safe using them
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid taking that 95% risk is the best deal going for you. Beats having a serious infection and loosing vision like they did 150 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
you can press the pretty green button now......I'll still continue to help you but that way my poor, starving, cold, hungry, children can have shoes before the snow gets too deep lol
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no sorry i mean a 5% success rate
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
In my experience, antibiotic eye drops, when compared to using salt drops, wins each and every time in treating a culture proven bacterial infection shown to be sensitive to the antibiotic.

It's up to you, but I'd use antibiotic drops.......