Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what causes blood shot eye and is there any treatment for

Customer Question

what causes blood shot eye and is there any treatment for it
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

There are many, many causes of blood shot eyes. Tell me, what medicine do you take and what medical problems do you have? Do you notice the issue with your eyes at any particular time? Is your vision affected or are your eyes painful? What have you tried to make it better?

Customer:

cancel answer please

Customer:

no medical problems or medication i dont notice any change in eyes,its not painful or vision not affected have taken vitiman b for last few days

Dr. Rick :

I know it is late in the UK right now and you might be asleep. It would be very helpful if you could take a close up, clear picture of you eyes, from different angles, and post them to me to see. If you want to do this, follow these instructions. If not, we can chat and you can tell me more so I can give you a more precise answer.

Dr. Rick :

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

sorry did nt get back to you my eye has started to clear now so looks totally different don't think photo would be helpful now

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I see you were online for a brief moment just a second ago.....perhaps our time zones have briefly overlapped! Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Heck. I guess our timezones are just not going to overlap.....there are many causes for red eyes but let me see if I can review some of them for you. I will have to use the Q&A system to type a long answer.....see you there.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am glad you eye has started to clear. Common causes of red eye are, of course, allergies, dry eyes, pinguecula, pterygium, mild viral infections, bacterial infections, subconjunctival hemorrhages, conjunctival cancers, uveitis, lymphoma, intraocular cancers of various types, glaucoma, bleeding, systemic disease that involves the eye, scleritis, episcleritis and the list goes on and on.

Many of these causes are benign and of no concern. Some of them can lead to loss of vision or loss of the eye and some can be a sign of systemic fatal diseases. When it comes to red eyes with no other signs or symptoms it is usually nothing that is gonna do severe damage, but as you can see by the above list, it is nothing to ignore either.

I would suggest that if your eye is still red you should have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist. I have learned that in the UK it is hard to get in to see a specialist but, in my opinion, if you have an eye problem you should see an ophthalmologist.....

Sorry we have had so much difficulty connecting due to the distances between Wisconsin and the UK. I hope I have been able to assist you in some small way.
Best of luck to you.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.