Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

each morning I awake my right eye is swollen in the corner

Customer Question

each morning I awake my right eye is swollen in the corner and today it is very large, I have now had this for 4 weeks, I have been to the opticians who says it is water retention and the doctors who said it was an eye infection, nothing has changed with any cream I have had
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Does the swelling go away during the day? What medical problems do you have and what medicine do you take? Is your vision affected or is it painful? Ever happen to the other eye?

Customer:

I take thyroxine tablets and they have just been reduced to 150mg I was taking 200mg per day. I had botox on my forehead on 4th September but my symptons with the one eye only didnt start until 5 weeks after that, do you think it could be that, I have also been told I have a kidney stone, rather large.

Customer:

yes, the swelling reduces during the day, my vision is not affected

Customer:

No nothing wrong with the other eye

Dr. Rick :

Is the swelling tender to the touch? Is it swollen right now.....I know it's not really morning on your side of the pond, but if the swelling is present now, and you could take a picture, I could take a look.

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

we can use the Q&A system to continue to work on your question.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
We can use this system. It is little slower but works well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Rick are you available?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr I am here now

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry we missed each other. If you eye is still swollen, you can upload a picture like this:

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh I dont have access to any camera at present, will try later. thank you. Kim
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Good morning. Is your eye still swollen?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Does it look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalazion
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No Dr, it is swollen (pufffed up rather than a lump) in the inner part closest to the nose and not the outer part. Its a bit painful when I touch it. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that we keep missing each other online......there is quite a time difference between your place and mine lol....

You may have a nasel lacrimal duct obstruction with secondary dacryocyctitis, although in this condition I would not expect the swelling to go away during the day. I look forward to chatting with you more and, perhaps, looking at a picture for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX about the time difference. Regards Kim
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am in Central Standard time, USA. It's now almost 8 am Monday here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi XXXXX the time difference is a bit of a problem. Apologies, regards Kim
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm online now...and will leave my computer on for the next 3 hours or so...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Morning Dr Rick, my eye is not so bad today, would like to resolve this, it must be difficult you not being able to see me but if you could give me an idea that would be just fine. Thank you, Kim
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about the problems with the different time zones. I do not think it is water retention...

Since it has been going on for so long it could be some type of allergy, dry eyes or blepharitis. There are some simple treatments you can try to see if things get better.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common, especially after the onset of menopause, and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

If this doesn't help in a week or so, you should get in to see an ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam.

Sorry for all the delays in getting a reply out to you....guess I should move to the other side of the pond :o)

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. I hope your eye stays better and the swelling doesn't return. If it does, try to snap an picture and I'll be happy to have a look for you at no additional charge. Have a good day.