Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

right eye..query feeling or tremor in the eye..finger up in front

I have been experiencing visual problems in the last few months, mostly in my right eye. I can tell when it is coming on, usually by a query feeling or tremor in the eye. Then I develop a gray area in my peripheral vision, it is so obvious, that I can hold a finger up in front of it and not be able to see it at all. It also feels like there is a little ocular pressure behind my right eye... I also have occasional dizzy spells that my primary care doctor can not figure out... I also have experienced occasional mummy feelings in my face. I have been through schooling for Medical Assisting, and I have suspitioned that I must be trying to have a stroke. I am almost 60 years old, But, I have had a Cat Scan and an MRI and both tests say that nothing is wrong. So, can an ophthalmologist look into my eyes and tell me what is going on???
Needing Answers ASAP please!!

Joyce Tracy XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

email listings are blocked by the system....all I see are x's

Dr. Rick :

What medical problems do you have and what medicine do you take?

Dr. Rick :

I'm here and waiting to help you.

Customer:

The only medication that I am prescribed is Citalopram 20 mg tab. 2 tabs. qd. This is for my AADD. As far as OTC's go I only take Aleve PRN. I am obease, and sweetaholic.Cancer, HTN

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe you are having a stroke. I think it is ocular migraines. You can have the visual symptoms even without the headaches. This would not explain your mummy like face feelings though....

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away. Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

Dr. Rick :

You can often tell it is going to happen before it does, you can have queezy feelings, nausea and a blind spot in your vision with this problem

Dr. Rick :

There would not really be any thing that an ophthalmologist would be able to see in your eye during an exam as it is the brain that is the primary focus of an ocular migraine. A complete eye exam, however, would rule out some other possible causes of your symptoms.

Customer:

and Heart Disease runs in my family, but I have only been concidered Stage 1 HTN. I have 8 ciblings. One brother had a seperation of his retina (I believe), my son has Maculate Degeneration of his eyes. So, I am trying to pay attention to my body signs, getting them checked out, but, they can't find anything. I have not yet tried to going to an Ophthalmologist yet. My doctor has scheduled an appointment to see an neurologist, but that's not till Jan. next.

Dr. Rick :

I believe a visit to a neurologist would be helpful, as would a complete eye exam. I am glad you are paying attention to your family medical history and how it might impact your health

Dr. Rick :

January is only 6 weeks away.....that should be ok. Maybe, in the meantime you can get in to see an ophthalmolgist

Dr. Rick :

sorry about the typo's :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with or if I can offer any further information. Thanks for allowing me to help you tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

What if anything can be done for this? Is it fixable? Is it no big deal. My daughter, age 37 has had migraines for years, but I have not. But, she did get me to try Topomax once by Rx just to possibly help me to loose weight like her, but, it didn't work for me. So I D/C'd it. If it's no big deal, then why bother seeing any doctor with it. I can live with it if I know it won't get any worse. Also, what about the dizziness, is that a common side effect?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You are correct, if your condition is ocular migraine, it is no big deal and really requires no further work up if you are not really bothered by it. Dizziness can be a component of ocular migraine, although it is not a real common one. There are, however, treatments available for ocular migraines if needed.

On the other side of the coin, given your age -- and as I get older myself "almost 60" is not that old :o) -- it wouldn't hurt to have a one over by a neurologist. As an ophthalmologist I always think people should see their eye doctor ;)

I don't think the Topomax use is an issue in your case at this point.

Let me know how else I can be of service.

P.S. The Green Bay Packers just scored! Go Pack GO
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest