Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 82 y/o dad had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago to his left

My 82 y/o dad had cataract surgery 5 weeks ago to his left eye. (He is blind in his right eye after an untreated stroke destroyed the eye vessels a few yrs ago). He has glaucoma. His regular pressure was about 11 (with Xalatan drops once a day). One week after surgery he had 20/20 vision with eye glasses, no infection, swelling, etc. Then 3 weeks after surgery he had an episode of high eye pressure about 40 and greatly reduced vision . He was then prescribed Azopt and Comibigan in addition to the post-surgical drops of Acuvail, Lotemax. The pressure returned to 11, but now at week 5 he can only see light/dark and outlines of objects. His MD says there is no evidence of damage from the elevated eye pressure. The blindness is reported to be caused by scratches on his cornea caused by the eye drops. The Azopt and Comibigan were discontinued. He is told to wait and see if vision returns and to remain on Xalatan x 1 day, Lotemax x 1 day, and Acuvail x 2 day. I would just like some feedback on what maybe happening to his eye and any suggestions for management I can discuss with his doctor. thks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Does your fathers eye hurt?

Dr. Rick :

I see you are online. We can chat. Just use the chat function on your screen

Dr. Rick :

we can use the Q&A function to address your question.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It is good to hear that your fathers optic nerve has not been damaged by the short spike in his eye pressure.

When you have scratches on your cornea, or a corneal abrasion from using eye drops your vision will be fairly poor. Think of as trying to look through the frosted glass windows in a bathroom....

Once the scratches heal --it could take as little as a day or as much as a few days -- then the vision should get much better. If things don't improve by Monday your dad's surgeon may want to try putting a "bandage contact lens" in his eye. This is a very thin, extended, disposable, large, soft lens used to protect the corneal surface while it heals.

The drops he is on right now sound goo d to me and it seems that your Dad is in good hands with this ophthalmologist.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you tonight.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm still here and available if you need me.