Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

For the past few weeks the skin around my eyes, both the upper

For the past few weeks the skin around my eyes, both the upper lid and under the eye has been itching red and very bothersome, I bought new make-up,I replaced both my contact lenses and solution and nothing seems to help. I thought it might have to do with the allergins outside? I was hoping ther would be something I could buy over the counter for the dry skin?Nothing I have tried has been successful.I even wore my glasses for a time being thinking maybe it was the contacts.My eyes themselves are not red or itchy,just the skin,which is looking very wrinkled?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

For the most part when the eyelids are red and flaky, it is usually due to an allergic cause. The allergen may be a new type of makeup you're using, a new cream, or most often it is just an environmental allergen. It sounds as though you have tried changing many things about your routine and the products you use; that speaks more to the fact that this may just be a skin response to a systemic allergen and that you may not ever find out exactly what it is.

Regardless, most cases of allergic dermatitis respond to using cool compresses and smearing a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the areas twice daily will help this to go away. But sometimes it does take 2-3 weeks before it entirely disappears. If you have any signs of systemic allergies (itchy, runny nose and/or sneezing) then it would be wise to also take an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec you can find over the counter.

If the eyelids are also swollen and tender, then this may be an infection and therefore you should be examined by an ophthalmologist if that is the case. Also, if this is not improving with this therapy, then you should be examined by an ophthalmologist to determine the best course of action.

Does that make sense and did that address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology