Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

with pink eye, is it common for the sclera to become uneven--I

with pink eye, is it common for the sclera to become uneven--I wouldn't call it bumpy, just not perfectly smooth like normal...?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

I am here. Thank you.

Customer:

It was a call in prescription to my doctor.

Dr. Rick :

There are three layers to your eye. The conjunctiva is the outermost layer. This becomes very red with pink eye and can get bumpy, swollen and even form bubbles

Dr. Rick :

The next layer is tenons. You really can't see this with the naked eye.

Dr. Rick :

The innermost layer, the actual "wall" of your eye is the sclera. If this layer has wrinkles it is a bad thing.....

Customer:

My concern really is that there were no directions with the prescription and I don't know if I'm causing further irritation by over dosing--or under dosing.

Dr. Rick :

what is the medicine/drop. I can help you.

Customer:

I understand your answer.

Customer:

let me look...hang on

Dr. Rick :

I bet the area you are talking is called the conjunctiva

Customer:

I'm going to just type exactly what's here:

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

17 MI SULFACET/HEP 88.24MG/588.24U/M

Customer:

I double checked. This is what it says.

Customer:

a "compounded" RX

Dr. Rick :

Use one drop to the affected eye 4x/day. Gently close your eye after the drop and keep it closed for a few moments.

Dr. Rick :

That medicine is fine

Customer:

Fantastic. Then I'm no overusing.

Customer:

Should I do both eyes, even if the other does not have symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

good. Anything else I can help you with tonight?

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

No. It may move to the other eye but putting it in before hand will not do anything to prevent it an, since you may not have to put it in the other eye, just hold off for now.

Customer:

ok.

Dr. Rick :

Pink eye is very infectious so wash you hands well and use your own bath towels to prevent spread around the home.

Dr. Rick :

Here's a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

I should also mention...this is odd, I have a slight ear infection, which happens with me every so often, but is quickly resolved with some drops I got from the healthfood store, and I'm doing that.

Customer:

But it's NOT on the same side, so may not be at all related.!

Customer:

I've been swimming a lot--laps--but use the wax ear plugs.

Dr. Rick :

Ear and eye infections are sometimes caused by the same bug...even if it is on the other side of your head!

Customer:

I see.

Customer:

no pun intended.

Dr. Rick :

I hope I've been helpful tonight....

Customer:

OK. I'll just keep up with what I'm doing and yes--thank you for your help!

Customer:

This is a tremendous service!

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening....now you can push that pretty green button that I know you are dying to push LOL!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure.

Customer:

ok. Good night.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest