Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had floaters and some flashing in my left eye. That seems

I had floaters and some flashing in my left eye. That seems to have resolved itself, yet this week I have floaters and flashing in my right eye. I only notice the flashing when I am running in the dark in the early morning hours I am 61, wear lenses and in good health other than vascular blockages in leg which have been treated with bypass surgery.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are having a posterior vitreous detachment. Have you had any eye surgery in the past.

Customer:

I had a plug placed in my eye due to sever dry eye 10 years ago - that's about it

Dr. Rick :

OK. That should have nothing to do with your issues today.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Otherwise it would be OK to wait until Monday and try to have your ophthalmologist take a look at your retina.

Dr. Rick :

You can continue will all your normal activities until seen without any worry.

Customer:

The other morning it was like a meteor shower in my eye when I was running but that didn't replicate itself on subsequent runs. I will call my doctor on Monday

Dr. Rick :

that sounds like it should be fine. Is there anything else I can do for right now? If not, here's a short word from our sponsors: :0)

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Oops...forgot to give you the pretty green button to push.....

Customer:

Absolutely satisfied thanks - I CAN see the pretty green button