Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was at the store, and I walked into the bathroom. The lights

I was at the store, and I walked into the bathroom. The lights were bright and everything was chrome. Suddenly I had a visual disturbance that was like a hexagonal shape with kalaidescope-like colors around it. I was in both eyes. It was sort of like the sensation you get when you look into the sun, but a little different. (and I didn't stare at any lights) It took about 10 to 15 minutes for my vision to return to normal. I couldn't read my shopping list, and I felt pretty our of it too. This same thing happened once before a couple of months ago. I am also 13 weeks pregnant. Could this be something that is very serious? From what I've read, it seems that it is most like a visual aura that precedes a migraine. I do not have a migraine, but I have had several pretty bad headaches since I've been pregnant. I also do have a slight headache since this happened.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I have to take care of the 3 year old grand daughter for a second...she wants chocolate milk now....it's hard to be 3 :o) brb

Customer:

Oh I know. I have a 2 1/2 year old.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'm back

Dr. Rick :

Congrats on the new baby in the making.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Rick :

I think I'm gonna havta split my fee with you.....as you are correct. The most common cause of the symptoms you are experiencing is an ophthalmic migraine. They are not a sign of anything serious, they can become more frequent in females during pregnancy (Pregnant males don't seem to be affected :) ), will harm the baby and don't require any treatment.

Dr. Rick :

that was a "will not harm the baby" sorry for the typo.

Dr. Rick :

I've also had ophthalmic migraines almost all my life and, as long as you don't ask my loving wife, I'm just fine....

Dr. Rick :

Oops. Looks like you've gone offline for a bit. I stand by and see if you come back.....

Dr. Rick :

Your back. Any other thoughts or questions?

Dr. Rick :

There are treatments available for this condition if the headaches are real frequent and/or bothersome but this early in your pregnancy I would make sure to pass everything through your OBGYN

Customer:

Sorry. My computer suddenly died. Thank you so much. The money was worth it. I was pretty sure that was what it was, but it was just so strange. I would imagine that you wouldn't feel completely fine so soon afterwards if it was anything more serious.

Dr. Rick :

I can't see what you are typing....our chat system may be on the blink again. I'll wait a few seconds and if it still doesn't seem to be working we can switch to Q&A, which is a little slower but seems to be a more stable platform.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Got your text.

Dr. Rick :

That is true. And these ophthalmic migraines can also cause you to be (even more) cranky then being pregnant via a central action on your brain. Once again, as long as the baby's father keeps you away from sharp objects everything should be OK :)

Dr. Rick :

Now, a few words from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have an great day and best of luck with the pregnancy. I wish you well.

Customer:

Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest