Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For over a month now, Ive been having an issue with my eyes

For over a month now, I've been having an issue with my eyes or mainly my left eye. It started one day, I had some irratation and my eyes were really red. I was at work and people kept asking why my eyes were so red. I took my contacts out and wore glasses for the next week. After nothing changed, I went to an eye doctor, he said I had some infection in my eye but that it wasn't pink eye or anything serious. I did'nt have any pain, besides some minor burning sensation occasionally. I had no discharge, no sensitivity to light. All that seemed to be going on was my eyes were really red, and if I put my contacts in, it only got worse, and there was a irratating burning in my left eye, which was minor but still it felt like my eye was very dry. Sorry, got side tracked. After the first visist, the doctor gave me a mild broad spectrum antibiotic eyedrop, I used it like I was suppose to, no contacts, drops every few hours for a week. nothing changed. I went back and he gave me another antibiotic drop with an antiinflamatory which burned for a second when i put it in. I used these until the small bottle was gone, about five days. After three days, it seemed to be clearing up, my eyes were whitening, but then it reverted, and they became red again, but not as red. I again went back to the doctor, and he said the infection seemed to have subsided, so he said if there was still anything there, it had to be an allergy. I do have allergies, but i have medicine, which i'd taken, and my eyes weren't itching, it didn't seem like any eye allergy I'd experienced. He told me not to use any drops besides a new solution which was preservative free. I tried this with the new contacts. And it seemed for a day or two that my problem might be going away. I had a day of reasonably carefree contact use, mildly burning feeling for the first hour, but after i stopped thinking about it, it went away, but then after the second day, it took longer. I had a burning feeling for the first two hours and then i wore them for another 3 or 4 without irratation. But now, I can't put them back, or I can and the irratation is only minor meaning, i could wear them if I had to, but my left eye is always uncomfortable, there just seems to be a very mild burning in my left eye. And my eye is slightly red again. Not as red, but still. When looked at from straight one, it doesn't appear to be red, but when i look to the left, so the side of my inner left i is exposed, there is a triangle of red extending out towards my iris, but it stops just before. Without my contacts in, I guess its not really a big deal, I don't notice any irratation, besides a mild burning if i really try to notice it, but i need my contacts back. I really can't stand wearing my glasses all day, I'm just curious if this is some obvious affliction or if its something where I'm simply doomed to never wear contacts again. Thanks and have a great day. please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yeah hows it going?

Customer:

are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I'm here..

Customer:

any ideas about what it could be?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have been through a lot with this eye! Was the doctor treating you an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

optometrist, I live in montana, and there's only one ophthalmologist for five hours, he has a two month waiting period

Customer:

had i known it would take this long I would have scheduled an appointment at the beginning, ski season starts in less than a month, so i'm trying to figure out something before then

Dr. Rick :

The triangle shaped area of redness sounds like a pinguecula. These can get red and irritated from contacts like you are talking about. I know what you mean about being away from an ophthalmologist in Montana. I am the only ophthalmologist who likes to do retina work for over 2 hours in any direction :o)

Customer:

whats the solution for a pinguecula?

Dr. Rick :

You could also be suffering from a type of allergic reaction to the proteins that build up on your contacts. This is called giant papillary conjunctivitis. Most optometrists should have seen enough cases of GPC to be able to diagnose it.

Customer:

I'd thought the changing of the contacts would have solved that?

Customer:

because as soon as this started over a month ago, i didn't put my original contacts back in

Dr. Rick :

No. If you have GPC it is hard to treat. Just changing contacts won't work for long if at all

Customer:

so what do you think i should do?

Dr. Rick :

I was trying to find a good picture of a pinguecula on line....not having much luck.

Customer:

i looked up some pictures on google, and some of them look nothing like what i have but some of the very mild ones look similar

Dr. Rick :

http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/pinguecula This is the best I could find

Dr. Rick :

OK. Well, for inflammation of a pinguecula the best treatment is preservative free natural tears. Even if it gets red it won't hurt your eyes so you can tell your concerned friends not to worry.

Dr. Rick :

If it is GPC and your optometrist missed the diagnosis, time to get some free lift tickets for the ophthalmologist and beg to be seen before the ski season.....

Customer:

ha, it was more my boss, it think he thought i was stoned or something

Customer:

what kind of preservative free tears?

Customer:

would the pinguecula explain the mild burning?

Customer:

it seems from reading of a P, that they really can't do much for it, will it go away on its own, or only get worse?

Dr. Rick :

yes, it can burn when irritated. I really don't think your optometrist would miss GPC. However, like you said, this has been going on for some time now and, perhaps, it is time to have it looked at by someone better trained.

Dr. Rick :

no. Pinguecula's don't go away, but they really don't cause much problems, except of course, with some contact use. They have to be surgically removed and this can leave a scar that is just as bad as the primary problem. I would leave it alone.

Customer:

I decided to call someone new on monday, but i figured i'd try here first. I read something about a pinguecula affecting astigmatism, and i had something similar about eight months ago, where it seemed like suddenly my contact didn't fit right, i went to a different eye doctor, and he gave me new lenses and the problem went away. Do you think these could be related?

Customer:

also theres no yellow or brown in mind, just a very mild slightly red triangle, thats shaped similar to this, but i don't feel any foreign body

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Could be. One of the ways to fix problems with contacts and a small pinguecua is to change styles/types of lenses. This often works.

Dr. Rick :

They come in all shapes, sizes and colors.....

Dr. Rick :

most don't have a foreign body sensation, even when they are red and irritated

Customer:

so I'll just always have this thing?

Dr. Rick :

in a word? Yup. But it can be easily surgically removed in the office if it really gets to bothering you, with the limitations I mentioned above

Customer:

hmm. well i guess i'll go to the doctor and just hope its not that

Customer:

but i guess that'll work for now, what kind of artificial tears would you recommend?

Dr. Rick :

ok. Enjoy the upcoming ski season and I'll enjoy time on the snowmobile.

Dr. Rick :

I like the preservative free kind. There are many brands. They are all the same so get the cheapest. For when you are skiing or outside the preservative ones are hard to use as they don't have a cap so for that I like refresh tears.

Customer:

sounds good , ahve a good one

Dr. Rick :

Now a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest