Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my left eye is very painful, watery and causes my sinus to

my left eye is very painful, watery and causes my sinus to act up. what can be the cause for the problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

do you wear contacts? How is your vision?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

We can chat using this system. Sometimes it locks up and, if so, we can switch to Q&A format and talk to each other that way. It is just a little bit slower

Dr. Rick :

Can you see what I am typing?

Customer:

somewhat.

Dr. Rick :

OK. Your link from out there in Paradise may be just a little slow :o).

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contacts and is your vision affected?

Customer:

no, I don't wear contacts, just glasses.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in the affected eye? Do you remember getting anything in your eye or poking it?

Customer:

My vision is okay, nothing poked it that I can remember. I do know that on Wednesday of this week I looked directly at the sun and I was wondering if that could have be the reason for it bothering me. I also remember experiencing this same effect in the summer when I was in the States.

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't think that looking at the sun would have caused this. It sounds like it is either an abrasion of the cornea, perhaps an early corneal ulcer (infection), uveitis (swelling inside the eye), or conjunctivitis.

Dr. Rick :

Some of these conditions are serious (ulcer, uveitis) some are not (abrasion, conjunctivitis). Since many things can cause the symptoms your are describing I think it would be best for you to be seen by an ophthalmologist, today, if possible. If you are on one of the larger islands there should be an eye doctor available, even if it is only an optometrist.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, on the lighter side I would be happy to have you fly me down from Wisconsin to have a look :o).........never been to the US Virgin islands

Customer:

How serious is this since I've just had an eye examination just this past August, and my Physician didn't find anything of that sort. Additionally, I failed to tell you that I am type 2 diabetic; however my examination showed that I am keeping it under control.

Dr. Rick :

Well, diabetes can make you more prone to infections, even if it is under control. Also, the things I am thinking could be causing your symptoms would have come on recently and would may not have been present during your exam in August. I can't be sure how serious it is without seeing you that's why I would sleep better tonight if you could have someone look at your eye......

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I can see you are typing. I'll wait.

Customer:

Yes, it makes plenty of sense, and I will take your advice very seriously; however the only facility that is opened at this late hour is the Hospital Emergency Room, and that is a long wait. My eye doctor will be available on Monday--is it okay to see him at that time; or should I go to the emergency room for observation.

Dr. Rick :

That is a very hard question for me to answer from here. If your vision is OK and the pain stays about the same you should be OK to wait. However, that being said, when it comes to eyes it is better to fix a problem sooner rather then later. If you would only be seeing a regular MD at the ER they may not be of much help anyway. I will have to leave this decision up to you.......

Dr. Rick :

I hope this has helped you in some small way. It has been a pleasure to chat with you. Now, if you don't mind, a few words from our sponsor:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I will remain available to answer your questions until you feel this issue has been resolved....and you don't even have to fly me down to the Virgin Islands LOL!

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.