Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

couple of days ago that the pressure in each eye is 22

I was told a couple of days ago that the pressure in each eye is 22. I am 61. I have been referred to ophthalmology but live in a remote region and cannot easily get to an urban center to see the specialist. Can I wait 4 weeks to consult the ophthalmologist without danger to my vision?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

i see you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to work on your question.

Hi. I'm here.

As you know the "normal" range of eye pressure is 10 to 21mmHg. Yours is just slightly above this level. In my practice I always check pressure more then on one occasion as it can change from day to day and moment to moment.

Assuming your optic nerve is not severely damaged you should be fine waiting 4 weeks or so.

What is severely damaged? Well, a normal optic nerve has a cup to disk ratio of about .3 I would call it an emergency if yours was .8 or greater. If they didn't mention this to you during your recent exam then your nerve is probably not that bad.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was examined by a GP and no mention was made of cup to disk ratio of the optic nerve. Without additional information re optic nerve, do you maintain your opinion that I can wait for 4 weeks to consult an ophthalmologist?
Yes, I still think you will be OK.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.