Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have exophoria. What happens in the eye prescription to address

I have exophoria. What happens in the eye prescription to address exophoria. And, I understand some doctors think there are some eye exercises that might help with this condition. It sounds like it is controversial. What do you think and is there anything I can do to strengthen my eye muscles and improve the exophoria?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

I see you are offline. We can use the Q&A system

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I do not believe that doing any type of eye exercises, using different strength prescription glasses etc. will do anything to change your exophoria. This is especially, in my opinion, true at your age.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just for my information, how is the exophoria treated in a prescription--prisms, etc?

And then, if I was younger, would there have been anything to address the exophoria?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Prisms can be used to try and give you single vision but, in my opinion, they will do nothing for your underlying condition.

As a child, depending upon the type of exophoria you have, eye muscle surgery could have been done. It can still be done now, once again depending upon your sub type of exophoria, but it has a lower chance of success.

I hope this has answered your question. Since you are a subscriber you know what to the pretty green button so my kids can get new shoes before the snow gets too deep. :o)

Let me know what else I can do to help you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Did this answer your question or would you like to discuss the issue further?