Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am a 66 year old male. I have had an eye infection now for

Customer Question

I am a 66 year old male. I have had an eye infection now for 2 months. I have been to the doctor 4 times in which they have prescribed me numerous tablets, creams, ointments etc. I am currently on a course of Oxytetracycline and Fuctidin cream and its been 4 days and still no change. The symptoms I am experiencing are itching, watering, discharge in the mornings, and swelling. The doctors appear reluctant to refer me for any tests. Is there anything you would suggest?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today

Dr. Rick :

I see you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to address your question.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is possible allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes is very common, especially after we get older, and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, then temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then surgical ( non-reversable) closure of the puncta.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have effect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or zyrtec.

I agree with the use of the oxytetracycline. I usually prescribe a similar tetracycyline-like medicine for at least 30 days in patients such as yourself. These antibiotics serve two functions. First, of course, they kill bacteria. Second, although this mechanism is not well understood, they actually stimulate the meibomium glands to function normally.

At this point I would consul patience. With the above lid scrubs etc and the use of your new antibiotic regiem things should get better but it may take weeks to see any improvement.

Also, while I know this is sometimes difficult in the UK, if your GP has not sent you for a complete eye examination by a ophthalmologist I think you should ask her to do so in the near future.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi. We have been noticing some problems with the accept button lately. Are you having difficulty with yours?