Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

cant put eye drops for my four year old grandaughter. she want

cant put eye drops for my four year old grandaughter. she want allow me she just had a cataract op ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I know what kind of a predicament you are in. I am both an ophthalmologist and a father of small children. One of the best ways to start getting any drops in the eye is to use sleeping time for drop administration. Once she's off to sleep at night you may try putting a drop in as well as in the morning before she first gets up. That will give you two times. As for the other times, it will be very difficult to get four more times in per day, but if you have someone to help you then lay her on the bed, sit over her hips so her lower body is immobilized. Then have someone sit on the bed ahead of her head so their legs can be stretched out over her arms and that person can use their arms to hold her head and open the eyelid. All it takes is for the drop to hit her eyeball and it has done its work.

The best you can do with children this small is the best you can do, but these steps may help you. Does this help to address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.