Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765
Eye

WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF LEAVING A RUST RING IN MY EYE

?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Customer:

hello

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Could you specify the site of the rust ring with respect to hte cornea- which clock hour and whether in the centre or in the periphery?

Customer:

i believe it is at 10 oclock and just outside the color of my eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case it is unlikely to come in the way of vision. A partly leftover rust ring will not cause much harm to the eye as far as the vision is concerned. It also does not increase the risk of any eye infection( metallic foreign bodies get heated up while getting chipped and hence do not pose a risk of infection as such). The only concern is from its cosmetic effect and very remote possibility of reaction to iron like siderosis( it is seen with intraocular iron foreign bodies and not with superficial surface foreign bodies).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since it is away from the centre of the eye, it can as well be left alone. At the most it will leave a permanent mark on the corneal surface.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any follow up questions?

Customer:

no that was it. thank you very much for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist