Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

i have something stuck in my eye

i have something stuck in my eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that you gently irrigate the affected eye with clean tap or distilled water. Then, use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh plus or Genteal tear drop every 2 hours. If the irritation persists after 2 sets of eye irrigation (at least 10 to 20 minutes apart), then I suggest that you follow-up with the eye doctor for careful removal under the Slit-Lamp in the office. If the foreign object in the eye is dislodged after irrigation, then continue with tear drop 4 times daily for 1 week to help soothe the eye from the residual irritation. If there is redness and soreness, I suggest that you also use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 2 times daily for 3 days, in addition to the tear drop, but allow at least 10 minutes between the separate drops.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicdid i get it out? it's a brown spot on the top middle right side of the picture. not as irritating now as it was last night, will disolve on its own?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much:

It appears that you have a iron rust ring or other foreign object embedded on the superficial layer of the cornea. I suggest that you avoid/stop trying to get it out yourself. It needs to be carefully removed by the eye doctor under the Slit-lamp with a special eye instrument. Trying to do it yourself can lead to perforation into the eye. In general, this is common, and can occur from working around wind and dust, especially in area of construction or metal grinding. It is not harmful, and will quickly resolve after removal. It could also be other form of foreign body, which needs to be carefully removed. At this time, I suggest that you only use over the counter tear gels or drops 4 times daily under you see your eye doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon