Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

MY DAUGHTER SUFERS FROM, TOXIAPLAMOTIS,(A MITE IN HER EYE)I

MY DAUGHTER SUFERS FROM, TOXIAPLAMOTIS,(A MITE IN HER EYE)I AM VERY COCERNED AS HER VISION IS DETERIORATEING.SHE IS UNDER THE CARE OF OUR HOSPITAL.
i KNOW SHE GOT IT WHILE IN MY WOMB, WHICH MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I AM RESPONSIBLE,IN SOME WAY,SHE IS 53 YEARS OLD NOW.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO GIVE HER A NEW EYE? HER FUTURE ISNT VERY BRIGHT, AS TO GOING BLIND IN THAT EYE, AND THE PAIN SHE WILL SUFFER WHEN IT REACHES THE NERVE.
WITH ALL THE NEW THINGS IN MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE COMMING TO THE FORE,IS THER ANYTING WE CAN DO TO STOP THE PROGRESION OF THIS MITE.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I'm very sorry for your daughter's predicament. I know it can seem quite anguishing to know that you had passed this on to your daughter while she was a fetus. Medical technology has come quite a long way in the past few decades. Unfortunately, though, there is no way to give her a new eye.

Outside of the standard antimicrobials and surgical care (if it is needed in cases of retinal detachments), there really is no promising means of completely abolishing the toxoplasmosis from her eye.

Your daughter's best hope is to be treated by a retinal specialist who can watch her closely and provide the treatment she needs at the time she needs it.

I'm sorry that I can't give you more hope than that. I wish her and you good luck. Does this help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.