Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am a 25 yo male & I have recently noticed white developing

Customer Question

I am a 25 yo male & I have recently noticed white developing around the iris of my eye. I have recently been told I have high cholerstrol. What could the white be, & can this be causing permanent damage
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Customer:

hi

Dr. Rick :

What you have sounds like a pinguecula. Do you have access to a digital camera for a close up picture? I can give you instructions on how to upload it to this site.

Customer:

no sorry at work. what is that & can it be treated or is it harmful

Dr. Rick :

A pinguecula is just a change in the conjunctiva on your eye from sunlight exposure. It is not a cancer, it is not harmful and in the vast majority of cases causes no problems. It can, however, sometimes get red or irritated which you can treat with tear drop replacement solution. It is not related to high cholesterol.

Dr. Rick :

What's the take home message? Don't worry. By the way, what time is it in Australia now? It's 5 pm here.

Dr. Rick :

A pinguecula can be surgically removed but it is really not necessary.

Customer:

The white is on the iris of my eye. I thought the conjunctiva was in the corner of the eye. It's 9am here

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. The iris is the colored part of you eye. It is inside your eye, underneath the clear cornea. The conjunctiva is around the cornea. Is the white spot on your clear cornea over the colored iris, or actually inside your eye and on the iris?

Dr. Rick :

You're 15 hours in the future....could you check the stock pages for me :o)

Dr. Rick :

If you have a whitish ring forming around the edges of your cornea, between the cornea and the conjunctiva....this "ring" would look painted on...it would have no raised component to it, what you are describing could be arcus.

Dr. Rick :

Arcus, at your age, could be related to high cholesterol, but it would have to be pretty high to cause this. It could also be due to some inborn errors of metabolism, problems with liver causing Copper to build up (the ring usually has a green tinge in this case)....really have to see it to know for sure.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you have a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist. I do not think this is an emergency, just try to get seen in the next month or so.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense? What is the NY stock exchange doing Friday? --they've closed back here in the past where it is still Thursday :)

Dr. Rick :

I see you are in the chat room but I can't see what you are typing. The chat system may have gone on the fritz. We can switch to Q&A format and talk back and forth there...it's just a little slower.

Dr. Rick :

I'll see you in Q&A. if I've already answered your question:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. I'm still here and waiting on the future stock market report.....LOL
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Just type on this page and we can continue to discuss your issue if you would like.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi. We have been noticing some problems with the accept button lately. Are you having difficulty with yours?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My kids sure could use new shoes.....see the pretty green button? Give it a push. It won't bite you.

Thanks

:o)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

It was a pleasure to help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.