Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive been back and forth to see many eye doctors because my

I've been back and forth to see many eye doctors because my eyes have been very red after wairing contact lenses. I've been waring them for over20 years, and now they always go red and sometimes sore. One doctor told me I had dry eyes, another made a test and found out that I havn't. Another told me that I have ceratitis(?), another told me I have a scratch on my eye. After it clears up ( when I have been having antibiotics) I put the contacts in again, and after about 3 days, the go red again round the cornea. I try now not to use my contacts to much now, and use my glasses...but I hate it.
My contacts are 2week ones, and I have been having the day ones for special occasions when I was on antibiotics and they have been fine. I just want to know that is it maybe my 2 weeks contacs causing the discomfort and making my eyes go like they do??? Do you think if I change to the day ones, that this won't happen, and I will be abl to ware them every day again??
Thanks for your time,Nerys
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Customer:

hi

Dr. Rick :

Hello. We can use the chat system although it has been breaking down once in a while. If that happens we can switch to the Q&A format, which is slower but works

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

You are young to suffer from dry eyes...but it is possible. Keratitis should be an obvious diagnosis if you have it.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been treated by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

to be honest i don't know the term, i've been to 2 different specialists in a hospital in the eye department

Dr. Rick :

I do agree, however, if you are having problems with contact lens wear that daily disposable contacts are the best.

Customer:

the first wanted me to come back after taking drops, but had a different specialist after and he didn't understand why the first doctor said I had dry eyes and he did a test and said that i didn't have that.

Dr. Rick :

Well, I know in the UK it is hard to get in to see specialists, but I wouldn't give up on the use of contacts until you have had the chance to be examined by an ophthalmologist (MD) and, if they think it is necessary, a fellowship trained corneal specialist. These doctors would be the best trained and would give you the best diagnosis and treatment plan for your contact related issues.

Customer:

he said something about a scratch , and it wont go away....but I don't understand why contact lenses would affect that

Dr. Rick :

Scratches on the cornea go away....or they are very, very serious. Sounds like at least one of your doctors is not the sharpest pencil in the box.....

Customer:

hehe. I know.I'm just very confused, and I really want to keep on going with my contacts, but at the mo, I can't use them as my eyes are sore.this has been going on for 4 months

Dr. Rick :

The Acuvue daily disposable contacts are good. I use them a lot in folks who have problems with the extended wear ones....not sure if they are available on the "other side of the pond" as my Grandfather used to call the UK :o)

Customer:

that's what I have

Customer:

but 2 weeks ones

Dr. Rick :

Ya, you need to dump the doctor who blamed his poor fit on a "mystery" scratch or dry eyes in a healthy 29 yo female and find a MD eye doc who fits contacts....I wouldn't give up on contact use yet.

Customer:

oh, someone said aswel, at the begining that i had little spots on them

Dr. Rick :

Of course, you could fly me and the Mrs. over for a consultation by an American Expert LOL!

Customer:

but these cleared up when i had antibiotics, but now I seem to be getting every thing but no answers

Customer:

haha

Customer:

yeah, that would be an idea

Customer:

hehe

Dr. Rick :

I think you should use daily disposable contacts and then find yourself a good ophthalmologist....ask around to see who your friends like

Customer:

do i go through a doctor?

Customer:

or it's a different area

Customer:

?

Dr. Rick :

Here in Wisconsin you just go directly to the expert....I think it is different in the UK.

Customer:

I just thought you either have a doctor, or a specialists that work in hospitals

Customer:

I really ffell I want laser eye, but one of the many doctors told me that they would no way consider me for laser eye with my eyes like they are!!

Dr. Rick :

No. For example, I am in private practice, in my own building where I treat all types of eye diseases, retinal problems and do surgery in an attached operating room to my building etc. Patients can just call and make an appointment to see me if they want.

Dr. Rick :

I agree. Your eyes should be stable and healthy before any laser surgery. You should also be out of contacts for at least a couple of weeks

Dr. Rick :

the laser vision correction is a great procedure, although I do not do it in my practice anymore since I started doing a lot of retina work.

Customer:

oh ok, right, guess what i'm doing this weekend...finding an MD!!!!Ophthalmologist...yes?

Customer:

not gonna go blind or anything tho no??

Dr. Rick :

Yup. That's and excellent plan. Anything else I can help you with today? If not, here's a message from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Nice to chat with you today. Have a great weekend

Dr. Rick :

nope. Not gonna go blind from this......just find a better doc.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!!

Dr. Rick :

just a quick question. What part of the UK are you in?

Customer:

hehe Wales- Cardiff

Customer:

why?

Customer:

my spelling??? I'm a Welsh teacher- wps

Dr. Rick :

Welsh....Scotland? I went to visit Nessie in the late 80's but she wasn't home that day :0)

Dr. Rick :

You don't even have an accent when you type LOL>

Dr. Rick :

bye.

Customer:

SCOTLAND?????nooooo, Wales, It's west of Englad- Our own country!!

Customer:

haha

Customer:

Bye

Dr. Rick :

That's what my nurse just told me :0)

Customer:

good on her

Customer:

I like her!

Customer:

thanks tra

Dr. Rick :

take care and good luck. Time for me to go and see some live patients....

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest