Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My stepdaughters baby is 11 weeks old. She seems to have a

My stepdaughter's baby is 11 weeks old. She seems to have a problem with her eyes whereby the iris continues through the cornea. Is this dangerous?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Could you please elaborate a bit more on what her eyes look like ?

Customer:

Hello, they look like a horse shoe

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The cornea is the transparent curved part of the eye whereas the iris is the inner dark pigmented ( colored) part of the eye.

Customer:

the pigmented part of the eye is like a horse shoe the centre of the eye cuts through the pigmented part of the eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you noticed it in both eyes? Has it been there since birth?

Customer:

I have noticed it in both eyes, but i'm not sure if it's been there since birth

Dr. A.S. Desai :

From the given description I would think it is something like a sclerocornea which is a congenital anomaly giving rise to a cloudy cornea.

Customer:

Is it something that she will grow out of, is it dangerous, could she go blind from it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you see anything whitish or cloudy in the centre of her eyes?

Customer:

No nothing

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry for so many questions but I do not want to unnecessarily end up giving you a false picture.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case it would not necessarily be a sclerocornea.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are her pupils round in shape?

Customer:

No, they are like a teardrop

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you could just hang on for a few seconds I can possibly show you a picture which could be similar to the one in discussion.

Customer:

thankyou

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/eyephotos/pics/IrisColoboma.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please follow the above link to see if this is how her eye looks like?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://www.djo.harvard.edu/files/4264_620.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Another similar picture.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In both the pictures the pupils look like tear drops.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is this what you have observed in her eyes?

Customer:

Unfortunately, i'm not able to access the pictures

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So sorry about that.

Customer:

If it is as the pictures, what can be done about it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well, if the pupils are to be tear drop shaped then it is likely to be an iris coloboma. It is a congenital anomaly in which there is deficiency in the closure of a particular fissure in the eye thus resulting in a coloboma. It has different types depending on the amount of failur of closure of the fissure. It can be incomplete or complete type. An incomplete type is less problematic and may not cause much of a problem but for some amount of refractive error which can be corrected with glasses to some extent.

Customer:

Can this cause blindness?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The complete type may cause reduced visual acuity( poor vision) as it affects the deeper layers of the eye. A detailed evaluation of her eyes is a must so as to know the exact diagnosis and its prognosis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No I would not say blindness but can result in reduced vision ( the extent of it can only be assessed after a fundus exam - dilate pupils and look into the inner layers of the eye).

Customer:

What happens if the pupils do not dilate?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The inner layers can still be viewed through the pupil and a rough assessment can be made. If the inner layer is also affected then the visual prognosis is poor( but not blindness).

Customer:

Many thanks for your help

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince