Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My 14 year old son was promoted to varsity football. Last

Customer Question

My 14 year old son was promoted to varsity football. Last night after football practice he was sporting a puffy eye from a finger poke. Chris has a high tolerance to pain. i took him to nextcare. The eye was blackening from the nose to the under eye. No tear in the cornea. He had a terrible head ache. I gave him a vicadin and he went to sleep. They said rest- and no school today. I am concerned that here could be a blood behind the eye. Should I proceed to the ER this morning to get a real doctor to look at it before i take him back to his Dad's (joint custody) who will probably send him back to school???? Chris is not awake yet- what signs am I looking for here?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Customer:

Good morning.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Just give me a few minutes so that I can type my reply.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you concerned about accumalation of blood behind the eye ball , then it is quite rare and is called a retrobulbar hemorrhage. It is characterised by forward bulging of the eye along with increased pressure , severe redness of the eye with swelling of the white of the eye.

Customer:

Ok, I will look for that and thank you. He was vague with what really happened. What are the signs of a blow to the head cincussion (sp?)?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The most probable diagnosis here would be blunt trauma to the eye with periorbital edema+hematoma( blood in the soft tissues in the orbit). It is self -limiting hematoma . To reduce the swelling or puffiness around the eye he can take oral tab.acetaminophen 650 mg, half a tablet twice a day for 3 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Concussion injury to the head will be characterised by history of loss of consciousness for few seconds to minutes, headache, if internal injury is there then pupil reaction will be sluggish and size will depend on the site of lesion( whether small or dilated).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As soon as he wakes up check out for any change in the eye swelling, tenderness around the eye, both pupils should be of same size approximately. If you observe any of these abnormalities it would be better to take him to the ER so as to not take any chances.A finger poke injury to the eye would have most likely caused only soft tissue injury and very unlikely to have caused any internal injury to the brain. But if the injury is from the football then it would be better for a preliminary eye check up at least at the ER.

Customer:

It is the headache-that concerns me. ok- at least I know what to look for. Thank you for your assistance. My guess would be a check up with an eye specialist in a couple of days would not hurt. Right?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Exactly.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Thank you! This website is very helpful! Although, it is still fun to call my old high School nurse and ask her for help. Thank you Dr. Desai!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome